• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

can I add something else now?

sounds cool 8) . Im sure this question has been asked but whats wrong with putting a bunch of snails and crabs in a tank (that way u wont have to make frequent trips to the LFS to buy food)?

Rockthis11 said:
sounds cool 8) . Im sure this question has been asked but whats wrong with putting a bunch of snails and crabs in a tank (that way u wont have to make frequent trips to the LFS to buy food)?
well if you overfeed your pet's(which you most likely will if you put a lot of food at their disposal-I mean who could resist food, then they'll get lazy by the way, the ceph's i mean, because they know you'll give them all the food, he doesn't need to fight as hard to get it and so forth) you're done for, actually they are done for(me-gulp!!!)!

hmmm i see. A little off the topic, but i am worried about the snails that i just let into my tank. 2 out of the five of them stay on the glass and clean for me but the other three just stay on the rocks. I really dont mind if they hang out on my rocks but they seem to be leaving this white residue behind them. Check out this pic and let me know what u think.

Now that is a new one on me...I gather that the rocks were not that white before they were put in the tank? I have never seen that happen...

:frown: no the water rocks were not like that before :frown: . Now im worried i dont want these things to kill my rocks. Should I remove them from the rocks and put them on the glass!?! :cry:

first of all, don't panic, then you just remove those little snail's from your tank and go to the place where you bought it, ask what type of species they are, if they are one of those that carry bacteria which might possibly be the white stuff it might slso be able to do something maybe even harm your pet's.my internet connection suck's, the uploading takes a year lol.

ok, i just called the LFS and the guy told me that they are simply cleaning the rocks. He told me that the rocks were dirty and they are only cleaning them and not to worry about them.

i wouldn't trust that guy really, many people half of the time in LFS don't even know what they are really selling, this is especially true for octo's, i've seen "brown octopus" everywhere, basically meaning that they don't know what species it is.

Rockthis,

you should be able to take a big magnifying glass (something every tank owner should keep nearby and look at the white trail. You should be able to see whether the snails are eating off algae, etc and leaving the white rock, or whether they're leaving something behind them.

Nancy

Nancy said:
you should be able to take a big magnifying glass (something every tank owner should keep nearby and look at the white trail. You should be able to see whether the snails are eating off algae, etc and leaving the white rock, or whether they're leaving something behind them.

Nancy
nancy that's a really good idea, unfortunately i don't need a magnifying, if theyre is any magnifcation going on then it's most lily because i'm looking at a disected ceph on a microscope lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back