Can anyone put a name to these critters?

angus

Blue Ring
Supporter
I encountered these little guys while snorkeling in Malaysia. Can anyone identify them? Thanks in advance ...

I have more pictures and some rather shaky video, which I'll post if there's any interest. I also saw a couple of very large cuttles, one of whom gave a beautiful display of color-changing as he (or she) glided over different-colored parts of the bottom. Sadly, I wasn't able to get that on video.

Attachments

• conv_303684.jpg
    conv_303684.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 134
Welcome back, Angus! These are Bigfin Reef Squid, Sepioteuthis lessoniana, or are you talking about the corals?

sepioteuthis-2.jpg

CO: Roger Hanlon

Thank you; I knew I was asking in the right place.

If you want to ID the corals too, be my guest. But I'll have a cuttlefish for you to identify later if you prefer. :smile:

Now I just have to put a name to half a hundred different kinds of parrot fish and color-correct 300 photos, and my work will be done.

If anyone can do it, you're the man :wink:

Give's that cuttle, then! I might even have a go at the parrotfishes, it's getting close to international talk like a pirate day and my Somali is a bit rusty... :arr:

If you want to try your hand at parrotfish identification, some of them can be seen on my blog. You can ignore the rather turgid text, and just click your way through the pictures.

dwhatley;141629 said:
Is the photo album on your blog part of the blog or a separate plugin?

The short answer is that it's a plugin. In fact, it's a bit of custom code that I wrote.

The long, geeky answer is that the blog is built using the open-source version of MovableType. MT allows you to write plugins in Perl, so I developed a simple plugin that pulls image information from a MySQL database and inserts code into the page to display the images using Warren Kwerenki's lightbox plugin for jQuery. The individual gallery pages are generated from the same database by custom PHP scripts.

There. Aren't you sorry that you asked?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back