Can anyone identify this octopus?

jakester

O. vulgaris
Registered
Can anyone identify this octopus. I just got him from the pet store and they said it was a brown octopus. I think it might be a bimac but I am not sure. Thank you.

Attachments

• conv_304258.jpg
    conv_304258.jpg
    733.3 KB · Views: 203
  • conv_304259.jpg
    conv_304259.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 204
  • conv_304260.jpg
    conv_304260.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 167
  • conv_304261.jpg
    conv_304261.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 185
Unfortunately, whites spots on the mantle are not a close enough description to come up with anything diagnostic and I have noticed that almost all octopus species have a pair that will sometimes be visible (but no one seems to know what they are even though the spots are common in many photographs of many species). If you see a white circle below each eye on the webbing, that would be diagnostic OR two light colored tabs/finger appendages at the bottom of the eye. Color markings are not consistent and the ability to make their skin bumpy is common the the two I suggest. Roy likely has the most experience identifying Pacific Coast animals and I notice he did not give a guess :roll:

Finding a den is important for an octo. Some species stay in a single den for long periods (IME this seem particularly true of the female mercatoris), others wander frequently. If the animal chooses a den, starts collecting objects to place in front of the doorway and then stops coming out the behavior would suggest egg laying but since it is new to the tank, just finding a home is not suggestive of brooding behavior. That being said, I do believe it may be an adult.

Upvote 0
Well he came out for a little bit a couple minutes ago in the light!He seems to be trying to scare me because he will swim close to the front of the cage and swim back? Anyway he also seems to be red a lot. Is that in a lot of octopuses?:hmm:

Upvote 0
I think he kind of looks like a o.mercatoris.How big do mercs get?Mine has the mantle size of about a grape and arms that are about 4-5 inches long.I should have more pictures tonight. Thanks

Upvote 0
No, I am 99% sure from the first photo that it is not a bimac (in addition to arms and eyes, red is not one of their colorations). The eyes suggest nocturnal dwarf.

Since Roy discounted digueti and also discounts O. micropyrus in a 2006 post:

Mine looks like the photo in Norman's book - no red or white. It is so secretive that the only way to get a look at it is to stress it. So far, it doesn't even show itself at night. This may not be a good candidate for culture, but if a male shows up it may be worth a try.

I am out of guesses.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back