Can an octopus use a computer?

You're right I wasn't paying enough attention to the article, it's the progressive scan they are asserting that it is responding to, not the HD. Makes a lot more sense. I've read some about the optic nerves of different creatures. From what I understand some are capable of seeing much "faster" than others. It's apparently a function of the amount of information being relayed compared to the robustness of the optic nerve traveling to the brain. I imagine their colorblindness really helps them out here. We see so much that we see quite "slowly", for example if you are in the US your power is AC 60 hz. Meaning that your incandescent lights are actually pulsating as a function of the voltage, so it should be about 120 times a second. I bet this would drive an octopus crazy! lol. Fluorescent lights flicker, (on off as opposed to a pulsation) at a much faster rate early in it's life and a much slower rate later in it's life.

I wonder if an octopus would shy away less if you hooked up an incandescent to dc?
Do the European folks around here report any difference with the octopuses shying away from incandescent light?

trying to remember, I think LEDs always flicker but I think it's extremely fast. I know if you get an led with 3 diodes, rgb you can tell them flicker at varying speeds and get any color of light you want.

Anyway, sorry for rambling.

Interesting extention of the original post. I wonder what kind of "flicker" natural sunlight on the waves produces and what lighting would most approach it. I have been thinking that my bimac and at least one other ocotpus may not light the lights on a particular tank. Strictly antecdotal thinking (I have only recently observed something that started me thinking this way so your post was timely) and noctural/crepusclar octos that have lived there gave no clue that the lights might have negative impact. More attention is needed to see if I can draw any conclusions.

I was thinking about how the waves and clouds might also give a flickering affect (think passing cloud emulation) and not an actual flicker in the light source.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back