Can an octopus use a computer?

octopower

Hatchling
Registered
With the high intelligence an octopus displays, have any teams attempted some type of test to allow an octopus to use a computer? I realize there might be the need to design a button or control to allow the octopus the ability to interact with it. There must be a way to allow a touch screen (understood it must be waterproof) access for the octopus to interact. And for a simple test, I wondered if a team attempted something yet. I also understand the cost could be a factor, but for an initial touch test, has something been done yet?

Any response would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

As most TONMOers know I am not a cephalopod expert myself - my job is to provide a good environment for ceph experts (and lovers like me) to get together and evolve. The said, just want to say that I think this is a great idea and I look forward to input from our resident experts! I've not heard of any attempts of this in my 11 years running this site (anniversary tomorrow! :mrgreen:).

Thank you for the kind words. Happy anniversary! It will be very interesting to know if any computer interactions with octopuses have been performed or planned. I will continue to research this information as well.

Thanks again!

The problem of course is associating actions with keyboard play. I could imagine that one could create a modified keyboard (start with say 4 keys) each with different associated behaviors. Key 1 releases some food, Key 2 toggles the tank light, etc.

Orangutans can be trained to use a touchscreen, but you cannot use a touchscreen underwater. Touchscreens work by using conductance from fingertips.

I don't know if an octopus would be able to get enough leverage underwater to press keys, either.

Perhaps a box with levers would do it. Wrapping an arm around a lever is a much simpler task for an octopus, I think, than pushing an object.

octopower;177769 said:
With the high intelligence an octopus displays, have any teams attempted some type of test to allow an octopus to use a computer? I realize there might be the need to design a button or control to allow the octopus the ability to interact with it. Mexican Dentists Dental Tourism Dental Work in Mexico There must be a way to allow a touch screen (understood it must be waterproof) access for the octopus to interact. And for a simple test, I wondered if a team attempted something yet. I also understand the cost could be a factor, but for an initial touch test, has something been done yet?

Any response would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

what sort of tasks would you have the octopus try to perform?

HD is only a resolution specification. Why would that be specific for octopus to see? (My monitor is 1080p) Something is fishy about that. No pun intended :P
I like the idea of the levers, that's clever!
Cool product btw!

Without going back an reading the article, I recall it had more to do with the frames per second that can be shown with HD rather than the resolution.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back