Can an octopus eat a whole iguana?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by cephjedi, Aug 1, 2003.

1. cephjedi

cephjedi GPO Registered

I had the craziest thing happen recently.

Jake, my green iguana, is litterbox trained and can roam my apartment freely. He's about 12 pounds, and a little over 5 feet long.

Tomi, my Octopus bimaculoides, is a very VERY feisty octopus. He's extremely tame and loves to "play" with anything given to him- cleaning net, aquarium tools, sticks, thermometers, Jimbo- anything. Anything that enters the water is fair game, and he will usually grab it as soon as it breaks the surface....and then play tug-O-war with it.

One day, Jake climbed on Tomi's tank while the lid was open. His tail fell in. The picture says it all.

Cheers, Jimbo

2. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

That is hilarious. Methinks your octo is a little, shall we say, optimistic!

Good one.

:madsci:

3. cephjedi

cephjedi GPO Registered

After snapping a few shops of the encounter, my girlfriend and I intervened and separated the optimistic cephalopod and a very understandably aggravated iguana. I can't imagine what would have happened had we not been there. Iguanas will drop their tails in moments of extreme stress...and this moment was heading for the "extreme stress" category very quickly.

Tomi is about 5" ML and approximately the size of a grapefruit. He's the largest and most interesting Bimac I've ever kept.

Cheers, J

4. fluffysquid

fluffysquid Vampyroteuthis Registered

hahaha! that is the greatest picture. I could see it looking like one of those motivational posters preaching perseverence.

5. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

What an excellent shot!!! Looks like Tomi was thinking what's on my tail!!!!

Like your collection too!! :mrgreen:

Carol

6. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

HA! Yeah, I'm with everyone else, awesome picture! You should enter it as "Photo of the Week" for some publication somewhere, that's a classic.

7. myopsida

myopsida Vampyroteuthis Supporter

As a matter of interest does anybody know if octopodes eat marine iguanas in the Galapagos islands? :read:

8. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Nice pic Jimbo!

I have a pretty scar on my finger from where an angry iguana tried to remove the top part....

I'm glad to see that over here they are hardly offered as pets anymore... good to see one looking so good
    cheers