Calimari Charlie - A. aculeatus

The last photo does show the typical star burst pattern around the eye but I don't recall arms that thick before. Unfortunately, I am not the best with ID, particularly for this suspected species.

To post photos in your thread copy IMG Code and paste. :smile:

042.jpg

i bought a small hermit crab for charlie to chow down on. it has been a couple hours and he hasnt touched him. my question is.....do cephs use all available senses. will we have to wait till the crab starts walking around?

I THINK a lot depends on the species and age. We see different responses between our O.briareus and our O.hummelincki (guestimated to be about the same age at almost 6 months, O. briareus known, guessing on O.hummelincki). From what we have observed, O. briareus is not much of a sight hunter and has to either come across food (particularly dead food) with exploring arms or the food has to be moving (waved around or moving in the water). Monty (diurnal) seems to recognize even still foods and will note the position and creep up on his still prey so sight is heavily used in recognition, not just movement.

However, hermits are an odditiy for food. Where many keepers report them being readily eaten, our octopuses rarely bother with them if they are wandering the tank but we recently found they will happily consume hermits out of the shell when offered on a feeding stick. Joe-Ceph is trying a live, out of the shell and left in the tank (vs stick fed) today for his baby bimac but has not reported on the results yet. We have also found that most of our octos will generally ignore shrimp on a feeding stick that is left still in the water (Tatanka did take one just sitting this week but it was noteable that he did).

The sense of "smell" (chemo receptors I think it the more proper term) seems to be pretty weak or the food we feed puts little "odor" in the water. We have found that feeding the tanks first with Cyclop-eeze seems to wake up the feeding instinct and they come out more quickly for their supper if we feed the main course after putting in the Cyclop-eeze.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back