Calimari Charlie - A. aculeatus

bikeguy33

Cuttlefish
Registered
thanx for the kind welcomes.

to the best of my knowledge he is O. acleatus. his mantle is around an inch or so and his arms have to be 9 or 10 inches. i have had him for a lil over a week and he is the coolest aquatic friend i have had. i won`t have the time to do a daily log...but i will add when something out of the ordinary happens...

once again....thanx alot for the welcome....

thanx Roy for the correction...I do appreciate it as I`m new to this forum and new to ceph keeping as well.I look forward to future input from you.

Neogonodactylus;166154 said:
The genus of aculeatus was changed from Octopus to Abdopus.

Roy

:oops: My Bad Roy, I have it right in the List of Our Octopuses but was in too much of a hurry when I set up the journal thread :oops:

Adorable name :smile: and so active. Loved the video, can't wait to see more. I am not so good at sexing, took months to finally sex Diablo but looks more like a Calimari than Charlie. Would love to hear more on your feeding difficulties. What are you feeding and how?

he isnt a very good eater. i change it up for him everyday. his diet includes small coctail shrimp, mussels, live clams, mysis shrimp, and prawns. i throw out alot of food as he only seems to eat every other day. some places i read that they will eat 4 times a day...other places say every other day is fine so don`t know what to believe. any suggestions would be great. since he can cause a nasty bite i dont want to hand feed him anything, not for my well being, but if my son sees my hand in the tank feeding....he won`t be able to avoid the draw of his own hand in the tank...and you all know how 5 year olds can be...

Food quantity is not clear and changes over the life of an octopus as well as with species (water temperature may also be a factor and then there are likely other undentified factors, including stress levels, size of and individual enjoyment of the particular food). We find that ours eat dead food sized at about 1/3 the mantle length better than larger food but will readily hunt mantle sized live animals. The quanity of actual food is likely to be about the same using these rough sizes. The amount of food (vs size) has varied greatly even within species. We have had gluttons and picky eaters and no clear reason for the difference in food intake demands. One consistent observation is that a female close to brooding will demand more food and be more active just before (roughly a week) she starts denning. Since stress levels have a definite impact, it is never clear what state a newly introduced animal is approaching.

The arms on Charlie look more robust to me than the typical aculeatus we see.

We have numerous reports of a variety of octopuses seeming to enjoy "watching" TV or computer screens. A recent study suggests that at least some species can identify food on HD TV but a slower refresh rate does not produce recognition.

my guy likes scooby doo....lol.as for food size...i will try to give smaller amounts and see if that helps. his stress level i feel is pretty low as in lil traffic etc. he has a different attitude to us all as well and he seems to like my 5 year old the least.as far as the robust arms...i ID`d him on my own. i know very lil about these guys so it was an uneducated guess.if any of you feel it could be someting else...please share.i`d feel silly telling everyone what he is if it were wrong...lol. thanx for the feedback thus far....i do appreciate a good group on a forum. not many around like that anymore...

It will take Charlie at least 2 weeks to really settle in. We recently moved Monty to a larger tank and he has just now returned to recognizable behavior patterns.

Hopefully Roy or Mucktopus will have a look at the video as they will easily be able to tell if my thoughts on the arms have any merit. I try to keep the source for aquarium octopuses in our List of Our Octopuses thread. It helps us know where they are coming from and what species are available (and sometimes helps ID the species). Anything you know about the original location of the animal, as well as the supplier (URL's permitted) is encouraged as part of the journal.

i know very little as the supplier sent him off as just an octopuss. he showed up from a supplier out of california. there was less than no info on this guy but he showed up healthy and active although he was missing 2 arms which are growing back. I assume that the collectors were a lil rough and pulled him off of a rock. i collected him from the LPS 3 days after they got him and i matched my water perameters to the local pet store perfectly and did a 3 hour acclimation drip. i am kind of hoping he isnt acleatus because if he is, hes close to full size and probably won`t last long.

after i was done on here my guy decided to do a lil posing for me. he was standing straight up in the tank...mantle faced into the air. not sure how to put pics on here so here is a link to the album on my "photobucket" account. a few of these pics should be good enough to properly ID him if he`s not acleatus. thanx a bunch all!!! Photo and Video Storage | Photobucket

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back