• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

CA Octo?

jack-knife

Cuttlefish
Registered
Can anyone tell me what kind of octopus live in the waters around los angeles ca? See i go pier fishing a lot and everytime someone is catching 1, 2, or 3 octos and some of them are bimac and the others i cant figure out? Last night one guy pulled up a good size bimac in a net and i took a look at it befor i let it go and then we caught this little guy that has a lot of red in him, no blue eye spot and has two white spots on his mantle? I have been seeing a lot of them and dont know what they are. They are caught in deeper water in nets off the pier in a some what sandy bottom. I wish i had more to tell or a photo but i cant get any good picks. last thing i would say there arms are 2-3 times longer than there mantle. So can anyone tell me whats around here?

Thanks a bunch :grin:

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
O. rubescens

O. digueti

E. dofleini

These are off the top of my head but I'm sure there are more.

jack-knife

Cuttlefish
Registered
CaptFish;164880 said:
O. rubescens

O. digueti

E. dofleini

These are off the top of my head but I'm sure there are more.
Cool, well after looking at all the info i am very sure that i have caught
O. rubescens. Do they get very big, iv not seen anyone keeping them on here?

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
They are considered a medium-sized octopus, body about 4 inches and arms about a foot long.

However, they are defensive biters, which makes interaction difficult. During one of my visits to the NRCC I was shown a young O. rubescens, who promptly bit the person handling him.

The juveniles can resemble young GPOs.

Nancy

Members online

No members online now.