• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Buying octopus online

Steve1853

Hatchling
Registered
Hello,

I am experienced in keeping cephalopod's in aquaria. I'm looking to try a new species. Is there any websites that any of you are aware of that I can purchase specific species from online? i.e - Atlantic Pygmy octopus?

Thank you

There are no real "regular" suppliers to speak of. Live Aquaria will occasionally have a "known" species. KP Aquatics gets O. mercatoris from time to time so you might contact them through their website and ask (they usually do not list them). Tom's Caribbean Tropicals will also have mercs but checking his stock list, there are none listed. EBay is another one off source with the advantage of usually having a photograph when one shows up.

Scientific names help, but a lot of times, even then, things are mislabeled. My first octopus was sold as "Atlantic common" which I assumed meant O.vulgaris, but in retrospect it almost certainly wasn't. It was probably O.mercatoris. What @DWhatley said is basically it. Some places are better than others at IDing, but it's usually a bit of a crapshoot.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back