• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Brown smudge on inside of tank?

kpage

Wonderpus
Registered
I've noticed for the past couple weeks that a brown "smudge" has been growing on the wall of the back of my tank. If you look at it head on you don't see much, but you can really see it from any angle. Is this normal or is this something I should be worried about?

thanks!

Attachments

• conv_303724.jpg
    conv_303724.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 104
  • conv_303725.jpg
    conv_303725.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 99
I recommend using a sponge or Mr. Clean Eraser over the magnet. The sponge (or any towel type cleaner) will remove it rather than add it back to the tank. I also rinse the sponge every couple of wipes for the same reason. You will likely see less of it in a year or better but it will always be present.

For the coraline, I swap my pin cushion urchins in to an octo tank when it is empty (an have them full time in my non-octo tanks). I still have to scrap the viewing sides weekly but they help keep the rocks from becoming a purple blob.

our prob is that many of our newer tanks are acrylic and urchins scrape the &%#&*@!% out of the viewing surfaces! We have special cleaning plastic scraper thingys which work on the brown but are real hard work on the acrylic!

J

I am not sure which has scratched mine up more the proscraper that gets grit between it and the acrylic or gets a chip that I don't notice until too late or the urchins. Since I am the most frequent viewer, I just live with the scratches, you have a bit more of a problem.

kpage;144250 said:
I've noticed for the past couple weeks that a brown "smudge" has been growing on the wall of the back of my tank. If you look at it head on you don't see much, but you can really see it from any angle. Is this normal or is this something I should be worried about?

thanks!

Welcome to marine aquarium keeping, get used to it. :welcome:

the dratted coralline still takes much elbow grease to get off! And yes our acrylic scrapers don't last long, fortunately there is a shop fitters in town that lets us have the off cuts of acrylic from their various jobs either free or very cheaply!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back