• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Brown smudge on inside of tank?

kpage

Wonderpus
Supporter
I've noticed for the past couple weeks that a brown "smudge" has been growing on the wall of the back of my tank. If you look at it head on you don't see much, but you can really see it from any angle. Is this normal or is this something I should be worried about?

thanks!

Attachments

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Algae, to me it says that you have a health tank, with good lights. Its not a bad thing at all, just ugly. We all deal with it.

bluespotocto

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
I get that also. I use the magnet cleaners and about every 2 days i swiped down the tank because i like it nice and clean for my viewing.:grin:

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
I'm little lazier i use the magnet once a week.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I recommend using a sponge or Mr. Clean Eraser over the magnet. The sponge (or any towel type cleaner) will remove it rather than add it back to the tank. I also rinse the sponge every couple of wipes for the same reason. You will likely see less of it in a year or better but it will always be present.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
that brown smudgy algae is the bane of our lives......well second only to the pink coralline paint! Still we know when spring has arrived cos the tanks need more frequent de algaeing! :hmm:

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
For the coraline, I swap my pin cushion urchins in to an octo tank when it is empty (an have them full time in my non-octo tanks). I still have to scrap the viewing sides weekly but they help keep the rocks from becoming a purple blob.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
our prob is that many of our newer tanks are acrylic and urchins scrape the &%#&*@!% out of the viewing surfaces! We have special cleaning plastic scraper thingys which work on the brown but are real hard work on the acrylic!

J

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I am not sure which has scratched mine up more the proscraper that gets grit between it and the acrylic or gets a chip that I don't notice until too late or the urchins. Since I am the most frequent viewer, I just live with the scratches, you have a bit more of a problem.

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
kpage;144250 said:
I've noticed for the past couple weeks that a brown "smudge" has been growing on the wall of the back of my tank. If you look at it head on you don't see much, but you can really see it from any angle. Is this normal or is this something I should be worried about?

thanks!
Welcome to marine aquarium keeping, get used to it. :welcome:

L8 2 RISE

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
for cleaning stuff off of acrylic, use the edge on acrylic scraps. You'll have to replace the scrap every couple of cleans, but it works like a charm... on anything.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
the dratted coralline still takes much elbow grease to get off! And yes our acrylic scrapers don't last long, fortunately there is a shop fitters in town that lets us have the off cuts of acrylic from their various jobs either free or very cheaply!

J

Members online

No members online now.