Brown Octopus

devi

Blue Ring
Registered
I'm currently waiting on my octopus delivery from a man in Bali. Well it's a supplier, not a man, but the info I seem to be getting sent keeps making me think of a bloke in a boat with no idea what he's looking at. In the few months I've been sending messages back and forth he has offered 'zebras', which is either mimic or wonderpus, blue ring, which I do not want, and 'normal octopus', which tbh I have no idea what it could be, but my mate in Indonesia is a marine biologist and reckons he sees a fair amount of dwarf species where he is so hopefully it'll be that. This week he sent the message that he found a 'brown octopus'.
I might be shootin at the stars here, but does anyone have any idea what it might be?

The "brown octopus" could be Octopus (Abdopus) aculeatus. I got in four "Bali octopus" a couple weeks ago from a supplier and three appear to be O. aculeatus and the fourth something else smaller. We haven't done the sequencing yet to verify species. Has the supplier told you any measurements of the octo?

Upvote 0
Neurobadger, it's a 15g, so we're stuck with dwarves, I've put a few hundred aside for an upgrade, but unfortunately I can't find a decent copper free 55g for less than £400 so far.
Esquid, if you ever find out what your 'something smaller' is then I'd be pleased to discover, as that Bali dwarf is what I'm seeking! My fish shop is happy that it can sell any octo I don't take to a suitable octo educated home, but I'd still prefer to only order those animals that I may be able to house. I have no measurements but will be taking many many photos when we finally get one in the shop, and I will need to be pretty sure of identification before it comes home.

Upvote 0
ID the octo without pictures, I like it (as long as I don't have to house it :biggrin2:). Do keep us posted as you get offers of what they catch for both the interest in what you buy for either yourself or the shop as well as what the locals catch and offer.

Upvote 0
When we finally get anything as far as the shop I'll be taking a bunch of pictures, but apart from one DOA we're struggling. He was supposed to send the brown octopus this week but he seems to have forgotten to put it in the shipment. I have to say, I'm kind of enjoying the adventure of finding one of these elusive creatures, I'm on the phone a few times a week chasing up leads and trying to make sense of various common names.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back