• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Brown Algae issues

H2OGirl

Hatchling
Registered
Hi Everyone!

My tank seems to have a bit of a problem: brown algae is on some of the tank surfaces (not a lot, and it doesn't seem to be spreading). A little research told me that this algae is actually diatoms, which makes sense, since they brush off easily when I touch the surfaces. So, can anyone recommend a good algae-remover (copper-free, of course...I'm getting a bimac), or should I just wait this one out?

Thanks.

If you can, check your silicate levels...(if you don't have that particular test kit, ask your lfs to do it for you )...they may be elevated...
Personally, I prefer physical removal as opposed to chemical...less chance of problems that way!!! Scoop it up, take it out...once the food base for it has gone away, so will the ugly brown goo...
greg

I always use my magnetic scrubber...comes right off....also, in my freshwater experience, when brown algae shows up allover, i generally have high nitrate levels....im not sure that the same goes for saltwater though...

DO ALOT OF WATER CHANGES AND KEEP TAKING IT OUT WITH A SIPHON HOSE trust me
you dont wanna learn the hard way. I had some in my tank...just a lil... and it turned to a little more then alot more. Now i gots yellow on the bottom that dont come out with little effort.

Hmmmm. Every Saltwater tank that I have ever set up has a bloom of diatoms early in the cycle. I just wait it out and add a clean up crew. The bloom has always went away within a month. Most of the reef and nano boards I frequent talk about diatom blooms going hand and hand with either (1) a cycling tank, or (2) high silicates like Greg stated earlier.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back