[Octopus]: Briarus hotel

My wife says twitch is not likening me going out of town for the week she is only coming out to be feed and carrys the shrimp back to her den to eat (strange) but she is still curiouse when I'm home so I don't mind lol

There have been a couple of experiments with larger animals to try to prove octopuses know individuals. Roland Anderson did one dressing aquarists alike but one would feed and the other annoy the animals with a stick. Most of the animals learned to come to the feeding attendant and avoid the irritating one. @Jean also tells the story of an intern that would get soaked if she approached a specific octopus. Sy Montgomery wrote a nice encounter article for Orion Magazine you might enjoy reading. In it she mentions Roland's experiment, summarizes a host of other articles and records her own experience with a GPO.

Neal and I see a difference in how the octopuses react to us. In several cases they would come to me and be petted but want little to do with Neal. The oddity is that Neal is the primary food provider.

Ive been catching twitch out with the day lights on pretty frequently is this normal for a briarus she dont stay out real long only about 5mins but its abnormal for her to tolerate any light at all

Houdini comes out lights on or off. I swish my hands through the water and her and the other Octopus get really active. I see tentacles everywhere coming out of the rock work.

Update to the Briareus Hotel:

One happy baby Briareus heading home now with InkMan! :boat: We noticed she was missing 1 arm and it was fresh when we captured her and placed her in a bag. I don't see it anywhere in the tank. And the she did had all 8 this morning when I was feeding it shrimp on a stick. Might have pinched on the rock when I moved it. :frown:

Enjoy your new Condo Baby Briareus!

It was a great visit with Lance and the boys today. My Husband enjoyed it as well. We'll have to make a day of it for You, the Wife, and Bryson, when you come down for Houdini.

Lance is such a sweetheart he agreed to letting me hold onto Houdini because of how active she still is. When I clean or do anything in the room she is in she's all over watching me touching with such curiosity. And I really wanted a little more time with her while he sets up the other tank. I'm extremely happy with the interaction I'm getting with her. Lights on or off she is out and about and curious what I'm doing or my husband is doing. (cleaning bird cages or lizard cages, vacuuming dusting, ect)

(posting this in my journal as well for record purposes)

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

We are acclimating :fingerscrossed: All Good so far I have to stare at siete or bash short for bashful off the seven dwarfs she wants out bad lol hope she enjoys the room breakfast at six dinner by five lol pools open year round

rofl.... I thought there was a missing arm? But I see all 8! (wipes brow) Mantle is barely dime size. It's hard to see actual size, but Houdini and this one are the same size. She's out dancing all over the tank, trying to figure a way out. Not a chance... lol

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back