• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

briareus

None of my lfs can get any octos other than blue ring. So I would have to get it online. I found saltwatfish.com sells briareus. They say the size that i would get them is 2-6 inches is this a good size (not too old). Also would a 55 gal be a good size of tank for it.

SWF.com did change their octopus listing from Octopus sp. to Octopus briareus, but, a lot of people are still getting O. hummelincki's from them so I would be skeptical about which you will get.

I would suggest a 75 or larger if possible. Read my briarues' journal here: Kalypso (O.briareus)

Mine is pretty big but I don't think she's even going to reach her maximum potential size, and I wouldn't want mine in anything smaller than a 75.

Ok thanks. My friend is giving me his really nice 55 gal/stand so that saves me almost $1000. Is there any octos that are sold online that could live in a 55 gal

well, you could find jsut about anything sold online but thats not the point.

in a 55 gal, the only species small enough to fit and interesting enough to keep would be a bimac, O. bimaculoides or O. bimaculatus. i have kept both of these, as well as other species, in the past, and my O. bimaculoides ('Davy Jones') was the friendliest. he was also in a 125 gal, though, and had the whole tank to himself.

daddysquoc;123123 said:
well, you could find jsut about anything sold online but thats not the point.

in a 55 gal, the only species small enough to fit and interesting enough to keep would be a bimac, O. bimaculoides or O. bimaculatus. i have kept both of these, as well as other species, in the past, and my O. bimaculoides ('Davy Jones') was the friendliest. he was also in a 125 gal, though, and had the whole tank to himself.

Actually, a 55 would be OK for aculeatus or hummelincki. People have kept briareus in 55 but it's generally thought that they're cramped at adult size, so we don't recommend it.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back