briareus

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Teen Aquarist, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Teen Aquarist

Teen Aquarist Larval Mass Registered

None of my lfs can get any octos other than blue ring. So I would have to get it online. I found saltwatfish.com sells briareus. They say the size that i would get them is 2-6 inches is this a good size (not too old). Also would a 55 gal be a good size of tank for it.

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

SWF.com did change their octopus listing from Octopus sp. to Octopus briareus, but, a lot of people are still getting O. hummelincki's from them so I would be skeptical about which you will get.

I would suggest a 75 or larger if possible. Read my briarues' journal here: http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/8735/

Mine is pretty big but I don't think she's even going to reach her maximum potential size, and I wouldn't want mine in anything smaller than a 75.

3. Teen Aquarist

Ok thanks. My friend is giving me his really nice 55 gal/stand so that saves me almost $1000. Is there any octos that are sold online that could live in a 55 gal

4. daddysquoc

daddysquoc Wonderpus Registered

well, you could find jsut about anything sold online but thats not the point.

in a 55 gal, the only species small enough to fit and interesting enough to keep would be a bimac, O. bimaculoides or O. bimaculatus. i have kept both of these, as well as other species, in the past, and my O. bimaculoides ('Davy Jones') was the friendliest. he was also in a 125 gal, though, and had the whole tank to himself.

5. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Actually, a 55 would be OK for aculeatus or hummelincki. People have kept briareus in 55 but it's generally thought that they're cramped at adult size, so we don't recommend it.

6. daddysquoc

daddysquoc Wonderpus Registered

agreed monty :smile:

and an aculeatus is quite a friendly species too. :smile:

7. Teen Aquarist

Do you know of a good site to buy one (i would like to get a young one)

8. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Looks like Stomatopod.com is about to start selling some, or at least what appear to be Abdopus sp. of sorts.

I got mine from www.marinedepotlive.com and another one a while back from www.liveaquaria.com

Getting a young one's going to be the luck of the draw most likely though.