• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

briareus

Teen Aquarist

Larval Mass
Registered
None of my lfs can get any octos other than blue ring. So I would have to get it online. I found saltwatfish.com sells briareus. They say the size that i would get them is 2-6 inches is this a good size (not too old). Also would a 55 gal be a good size of tank for it.

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
SWF.com did change their octopus listing from Octopus sp. to Octopus briareus, but, a lot of people are still getting O. hummelincki's from them so I would be skeptical about which you will get.

I would suggest a 75 or larger if possible. Read my briarues' journal here: http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/8735/

Mine is pretty big but I don't think she's even going to reach her maximum potential size, and I wouldn't want mine in anything smaller than a 75.

Teen Aquarist

Larval Mass
Registered
Ok thanks. My friend is giving me his really nice 55 gal/stand so that saves me almost $1000. Is there any octos that are sold online that could live in a 55 gal

daddysquoc

Wonderpus
Registered
well, you could find jsut about anything sold online but thats not the point.

in a 55 gal, the only species small enough to fit and interesting enough to keep would be a bimac, O. bimaculoides or O. bimaculatus. i have kept both of these, as well as other species, in the past, and my O. bimaculoides ('Davy Jones') was the friendliest. he was also in a 125 gal, though, and had the whole tank to himself.

monty

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Supporter
daddysquoc;123123 said:
well, you could find jsut about anything sold online but thats not the point.

in a 55 gal, the only species small enough to fit and interesting enough to keep would be a bimac, O. bimaculoides or O. bimaculatus. i have kept both of these, as well as other species, in the past, and my O. bimaculoides ('Davy Jones') was the friendliest. he was also in a 125 gal, though, and had the whole tank to himself.
Actually, a 55 would be OK for aculeatus or hummelincki. People have kept briareus in 55 but it's generally thought that they're cramped at adult size, so we don't recommend it.

Members online