• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Breeding cuttles

jamest0o0

O. vulgaris
Registered
I was just curious if I should try this or not. I plan on getting my first cuttles in august-sept. and I've read many posts saying you should try to get a pair and breed them. Is it hard? Any info. would be good :smile: thanks!

The only hard part is getting the food for the baby cuttles. They will only eat tiny live shrimp, such as mysis or brine; although brine is not very good for them. You have to feed a couple of times per day and mysids are expensive. The good news is that after about a month or so you should be able to get them on to frozen mysis until they grow too large.

Ouch, I figured that was the case(as it is with most young animals). I think I will go with just 2 females to get used to caring for cuttles and see where I can go from there.

I would suggest males over females. They are more active and display a wider range of patterns than females typically do. You may get some fighting but other than some bite marks there shouldn't be many other affects from it.

Oh I thought all males would fight a lot and yeah I knew both could ink, I just thought the males fighting would increase the chances. Thanks everyone!

It can be done in a 29 gallon, but 55 gallon is probably better to give the animals more space to move. If you have more than one male, then it gives them space when they are not displaying threats to each other or trying to mate with the female(s).

One of the issue with raising cuttles is that they start small and get bigger. My current thought is that two cuttles in a 40 towards the last 1/3 or their life will be ok, but they simply get too big for a 30.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back