• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Breeding Crabs!!!!

We've been keeping fiddlers in a low plastic box for more than two years now. Ours are indoors, so I can't tell you about temperature. The interesting thing is they live in damp sand, come out at night to feed. Yes, they filter sand, but they will sink their little claws into pieces of fruit and they love popcorn. We feed them popcorn, flakes (on the sand), fresh fruit and lettuce. Although they occasionally eat the lettuce, they also use it to cover their holes.

They have a "pond" of brackish water but spend time there only during molting. Each night the "tide" comes in (water is poured onto the sand).

Never had any luck with breeding, but they're not so difficult to keep.

Nancy

well around here the fiddlers go down into the holes for hibernation after the water temp drops below about 67 deg F. so most the winter we dont even see them. being in fla you shouldnt have a problem. just put a heater in the tank to keep the water temp up and the cold air shouldnt affect them

I just got about 50-70 fiddlers at Yankeetown this weekend. If you go to the boat ramp past the bridge there is a cleared beach to the right that has TONS of fiddlers. So many that next time we go we are going to bring a large fish net and some plastic tarp material to try to herd them into the netting. I just got them to create ammonia.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back