[Breaking News]: Octopuses get erections

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Reaction score
was in our Science Library today and found that this has now been published. some interesting histology done.

Thompson, J. T., Voight, J. R. 2003. Erectile tissue in an invertebrate animal: the Octopus copulatory organ. J. Zool. Lond. v. 261 p. 101-108

The authors compared histologically the ligulae of O. bimaculoides (the erectile one!!), Graneladone pacifica and Bathypolypus bairdii. It seem that the lingula of the bimac has a similar structure to that of a mammalian penis (as compared to that of a nine banded armadillo :shock: :shock: )

J

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Reaction score
joel_ang said:
Jean said:
It seem that the lingula of the bimac has a similar structure to that of a mammalian penis (as compared to that of a nine banded armadillo :shock: :shock: )
Who actually bothered to compare? :shock:
There were apparently (in the ref list!!) a couple of papers by someone called Kelly on the armadillo's er..............equipment :D and then Thompson and Voight did the comparing!!

J

Reaction score
Jean,

Thankee-sai, and may you always follow along the path of the Beam...

See, I'm still totally sold on this convergent evolution thing. All evidence points to the idea that cephs are the butt-kicking molluscs we always thought they were...

Sushi and Sake,

John

Reaction score
More on octopus erectile tissue at

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/7251997.htm

The article ends "In the case of the frisky male in the Texas tank, the 'female was literally fighting him off and in the end, he bit and envenomed her,' Voight wrote. 'I won't go into the details, but I separated the two at that point.'"

:shock: Maybe this belongs in the autophagy thread.

Melissa

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Reaction score
That's interesting Melissa, especially the bit about the male envenoming the female. I was always told that octopus venom didn't work on each other, so they tended to strangle rather than bite :shock: Maybe it was a looooove bite :tentacle::tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle: :tentacle:

J

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bee_bee

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean