[BREAKING NEWS]: Colossal Squid

that Squid Hunter picture is TOO funny.... but i have an idea for Steve (if he wouldnt mind cooperating) a bit of an experiment.. if cnn/fox/anything with a large audience comes calling, talk to them... in the process of explaining things refer to it both as a Colossal Squid and as a TonMonster... then we could see which the reporter(s) pick up on and use... i think the notion of a respectable scientist (as we all hope you are :roll: ) calling something a monster would be hard to resist... although there isnt anything wrong with calling it Colossal

This was even at the allspark (TF message board)! And about the discovery... Squid are getting bigger, smarter. Only a matter of time before they retake the earth. (Huddles in corner) :squid:

hey ho,
on most of the original accounts of "giant squid" (usng term loosely) werent most of the sailors in Non-freezing temperature waters? I thought these big guys only stayed in the *burrr* cold. oh well...

did the fisherman get any hits from those big spiny tentacles when he hooked it in the boat? :oops: ouch if he did

well party on steve and congradumalations

That's one long handle you have there smellsandtasteslikeocta!

I think we really don't know what's down there - if we're still finding large animals like this in 2003 who knows what we'll find tomorrow, deeper still, anywhere. We really do need to do more deep-ocean exploration, and indeed oceanic exploration anywhere, at any depth. I think you'll find a few more sensational animals out there (there is another very large squid down in the Antarctic also, related to Mesonychoteuthis - let's hope we get a specimen for science soon).

We shouldn't fix on the size of this animal (sure, that's a rather sensational thing about it), because there are many equally amazing smaller animals (octopus, squid and invertebrates in general) that are equally exciting, if not more so.
Kindest
Steve

Hi all. :biggrin2: I'm new to the forum here, but I'm a long-time junior teuthologist and crypto-fan. When I saw the news about this squid crawl by on CNN last night, I bolted out of bed and fired the comp back up to find out everything I could. I've been pretty well glued to the story since then.

After my initial enthusiasm over the capture of this animal wore off, it was replaced by a sort of profound and sombre awe. It is humbling to think that even as I type these words, and as you read them, these vast and alien creatures are moving through the oceans, heedless of humanity, kings of their dark domain. Can we ever know them? And how much more is there in the depths that we don't know, may never know? No one can say.

I do find it amusing that this amazing creature should be revealed to us now. While the world's attention is focused on the war in Iraq, humanity is quietly reminded that there are still secrets in the world that no satellite or intelligence agent can uncover. The giants were here before us, and they will likely linger on after us, and they will never know we were. :wink: Food for thought!

I just saw a news clip on Fox 5 featuring our own Dr. O'Shea and Tintenfisch, showing them measuring!!!! Nice pictures!!! Guess this story is now hitting the US!!!!

Carol :smile:

Tintenfisch, marry me!

Tintenfisch, please marry me. I've fallen for you! That picture of you next to that squid is such a turn-on. Please don't leave me hangin'. Would you be mine?

calm down there chief.... while i agree a fetching young lady with a great knowledge of cephs is a huge plus, :smile: how can you refer to any picture with several meters of stinking aquatic corpse as a turn on? of course if i understood humans i guess id be interested in psychology.....

WhiteKiboko said:
calm down there chief.... while i agree a fetching young lady with a great knowledge of cephs is a huge plus, :smile: how can you refer to any picture with several meters of stinking aquatic corpse as a turn on? of course if i understood humans i guess id be interested in psychology.....

Awww, c'mon, don't be such a speciesist! I think the squid's kinda cute too. In fact, I'm thinking of getting a small one for my bathtub. More fun than a rubber duckie, plus you can use the claws to clean the grout between the tiles and pull stubborn hair clogs out of the drain. Beak doubles as an automatic toenail clipper, for a professional-quality pedicure while relaxing in the bath. Also a nifty way to scare off mooching houseguests who have outstayed their welcome!

Hmmm, wonder how much one of those things would go for on eBay.... ?

Not to mention some defoliation with those nifty little hooks on the arms........ mmmm clean!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back