[BREAKING NEWS]: Colossal Squid

Sorry about the jargon! Archi is Architeuthis (the giant squid) and I guess Mesonychoteuthis (the colossal squid) had been dubbed Messie - apparently we at TONMO are on more than a first-name basis with these guys. :smile:

As far as rarity goes - we know that Mesonychoteuthis makes up about 77% by weight of bull sperm whales' diet in the Antarctic (Clarke 1980), so it'll be a pretty common species - we just don't have the opportunity to see them very often. Of course, the more we study them (ideally in situ of course) the better we can gauge how common they are, and what the best conservation strategy would be in the event that they do require protection.

:meso:

REFERENCE
Clarke, M.R. 1980. Cephalopoda in the diet of sperm whales of the southern hemisphere and their bearing on sperm whale biology. Discovery Reports 37: 1–324.

SFH2 and others, I've started up a new thread on the 'Physiology and Biology' board to address your conservation issues. Drop in there some time and post away to your hearts content; am low on time and energy right now to post anything detailed, but it will happen (so will Xmas, they tell me).
O

Fuji S,

Have not been to Monterey Bay Aquarium, not familiar with Trapezium but I hear OGLE-TR-56b is an exiting found. Near where I am we have the National Aquarium in Baltimore although end of April, I'm going to Cancun for a training/retreat for a week. Hope I have time for a reef dive or two at the Cozumel. Jacques Cousteau was there in '61 and said it was the best place in the world to dive. This will be my first time there. I hear there's a Cave of the Sleeping Sharks there where divers sometimes claim to have "petted" the sleeping sharks. Not sure if I have the nerves for that though. Hey can any of the BIG squid, Archie or Messie, be found here near the reef or is it too warm ?

Also, I must admit I have a slice of the ocean in my living room. I have a reef aquarium with live rock, corals and fish (no anemone). So I agree with you when you said "we only truly react to what we can really experience for ourselves through our senses".

As for TV, I confess. I watch too much of it. But I try to watch the good stuff like National Geographic, with the Tivo (digital recorder) its easier to program and filter out the garbage and commercials.

Steve O,

I will check out the 'Physiology and Biology' board as suggested. thanks.
[/url]

how did i know.... it wasnt funny....what a big shock there.... hasnt been worth a spit since kilborne left..... pretty cool to see the clip of the hook rotating though....

maybe we can feed john stewart to a :meso:

Thanks for sharing that link, I've been looking for that! Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to load, though...

I disagree with Whitekiboko about Jon Stewart... I've LOL many times watching his show... At the same time, I'm all for feeding him to a colossal squid.

i don't know, it wasn't THAT bad. at least it made it on the show, right? that's worth something. it's the first time i've seen a family member on comedy central (that i know about).

still, i wonder what clever thing he'd say while being eaten...

:ammonite:

um, the only thing i can think of is for you guys to download realone player. that's what my roommate played it on. good luck!
(kat, where's the bird?)

cheers,
berit

:grad:

IMHO the funniest part was the soundbyte portraying Steve-O' as a dour, super-serious pedant. ("It was almost as exciting as when he saw a really big horseshoe crab.") But that's because we know what a card-carrying lunatic he really is! :lol:

HA!! That was great! I can see Steve exclaiming just as Jon suggested... :lol: :lol:

On a side note, I despise RealOne Player. Firstly, it's near impossible to find the *truly* free version of the software on their site, and secondly, you have to painstaking install it to ensure it doesn't hijack your entire PC... But it was worth the effort to see Steve and Kat in that forum! :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back