Brackish/freshwater species

Alternatively, it could be a flying squid & the flora is in fact part of Sir Steve's laboratorial shrubbery, though Jean is probably right a she knows about pteropods as well.

Steve's gonna kill me for revealing this... But...

It's a rare kind of deep sea algae that lives off the phosphoresence of that particular squid species. It's a commensal relationship that only occurs around deep sea vents.

That's is the secret to keeping them alive in captivity.

OOOr... it's plastic plant in an aquarium. I know this because I took the picture.

However that doesn't diminish the acheivement of raising them. As someone that knows pretty much nothing about squid it was amazing to be able to go down there and watch them swimming around.

As an aside; 'Kelly Tarltons...' found that they couldn't keep algae alive in their aquaria so they substituted plastic ones.

I have a few of these pics. If someone could see there way to adding a Squid in Captivity section to the Image Gallery I'll upload the rest of them. Who do I ask?

Once they got bigger (Like the two pictures I've posted) They were really hard to photograph. They are very mobile and I had to try and predict where they were going to be next to get a shot.

Matt

Matt said:
It's a rare kind of deep sea algae that lives off the phosphoresence of that particular squid species. It's a commensal relationship that only occurs around deep sea vents.

I may look like a cabbage but I'm not that green & we all know which vent your quote came out of ! :biggrin2:

Milton, believe me it's flying past a shrubbery.
Sir steve & his minions operate under a veil of secrecy & misinformation funded by NZ's squid beak laundering cartel.

Matt, is the wee ceph looking out of the telly on Discovery or NG channel one of Sir Steve's ?

spartacus said:
Matt, is the wee ceph looking out of the telly on Discovery or NG channel one of Sir Steve's ?

It has only just dawned on me what this thread was about! I was scratching my head for a while.

The plastic plants are not good in the aquaria as the edges of the 'leaves' are quite sharp (like razors). When some member of the public comes along and 'taps' heavily on the side of the tank the squid would react, darting backward, straight into the sharp foliage, cutting their rear end. An alternative does need to be found.

.... ney, not NG (or I hope not), but what wee ceph looking out of the telly are you referring to there SS Spartacus?

spartacus said:
I may look like a cabbage but I'm not that green & we all know which vent your quote came out of ! :biggrin2:

Milton, believe me it's flying past a shrubbery.
Sir steve & his minions operate under a veil of secrecy & misinformation funded by NZ's squid beak laundering cartel.

:jester:

No Idea what that last sentence is about. Actually I told some kids the other day in a lab, not put their hands in the tank with the starfish... 'Take you're hand off, it will'. You should have seen them jump :twisted:

Not to mention the.... hermit crabs who spit poison harpoons in your eyes if you get too close. (Ok, I stole that from Cone shells) and made up the rest. Still they were VERY impressed with the exploding whale movie from Oregon.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back