bought an octopus, but what kind?

Don't lose heart. Our two almost magically and seemingly overnight (but my notes show small progresses this last month) are becoming much more visible and interactive at just over 5 months old (and I believe noname briareus octopus is slightly younger). For two nights Tatanka has been dancing on the front glass of his tank. Tonight Neal was sitting on a small couch in front of the tank and Tatanka was trying to investigate the back of Neal's head :biggrin2:. Cassy was on the front wall for the first time last night and tonight took a live crab directly from my fingers so I think either coordination or eyesight has improved dramatically in just a week's time. Additional evidence of this occured when Tatanka pounced on a dropped crab, missed it (it got away, she aimed correctly) and then found it very quickly.

So I finally saw him swim!

Also his eyesight is better then I expected. He definitely saw me or at least detected the red flashlight in my hand. He appeared to look right at me.

Now my feeding stick attempts have failed so I thought I'd go simpler. I dropped a crab in. He saw it for sure but did not strike. I shinned the red flashlight directly on him and the octopus cautiously moved 2 feet + across the tank in one big swoop and enveloped the crab. For another 1-2 minutes he consumed or possibly just killed it. Then he took the body and went into the rock on the opposite side of his den. I could still see his legs but I'm guessing he will go around back to get back to the side where he "normally" is. I say normally because up until today I've only seen him on the one side of the tank but I'm still only up to about 4 total encounters.

I'll wait a couple of days then try feeding him again with this method. As I previous mentioned I'm almost out of crabs I will place another order next week as soon as I run out that way I can ensure I use up all the ones I've had a couple of months and start fresh.

If I can keep getting him to eat in front of me then I will switch to the feeding stick. I also avoided the temptation to take any photos even though I could have got some great shots but I didn't want the flash to spook him.

It may be that his eye sight is actually improving as he is getting older. This definitely seems to be the case with Tatanka and Cassy and I made a comment about it last week. Up until about last week Tank and Cassy would flail their arm in the direction of motion and get lucky if they connected. They are now (especially Tatanka) getting quite accurate and tonight Tatanka followed my finger on the front wall, a definite first.

So tonight I got him to take shrimp off a stick. He pulled it off and then let go of the stick but held onto the shrimp. It looked like he at least tried to eat it so tomorrow I'll have a look and see if there is anything floating around. It was a moderate sized chunk.

I also got a better look at him. I'd guess he is 60% larger then when I first got him. Not only is his mantle much bigger but his arms are much thicker. Nice strong grip too. He also stayed in view after grabbing the shrimp and did not fully retreat into the rocks.

:biggrin2::thumbsup:

The shrimp will not float. It will turn solid white with red/orange markings (as if it had been cooked) but you will have to look for it on the substrate. I am having the darndest time getting my trio to take shrimp. All three will take the bait shrimp I brought home from my trip (live or fozen) but something about the store bought is not working. I have tried both aquacultured and wild caught (if you can believe the signs) and Tatanka and Cassy will take it and nibble but won't eat much of it. Monty won't even take it. Most grocery shrimp has sulfides added as preservative and I am wondering if they detect it or if the shrimp are just tough. I have not had this problem with any of the others I have kept so I am thinking it is just tough and they can't quite chew it up yet.

So here's a new one.

I saw him out again today and dropped a crab again. Not certain he saw it but it was a lot closer then last time. He ignored it.

I then put a piece of shrimp on a feeding stick and within 2 seconds he got it off and started eating it. No huge pull this time just a quick rip off and he had it. I am almost certain he is eating the shrimp. There is still the lose fiddler wandering the tank should he change his mind.

I was thinking it's been FOREVER since I've seen him but after checking this thread it's only been 4 days. LOL. I also thought I've gone a couple of days without feeding him but it was only one. No wonder he didn't come out. From what I can tell by the speed crabs are gone for good and him coming out he only eats every other day at best. Not 100% sure on that one though.

I've put in 2 crabs since I've last seen him so I will remember not to feed tomorrow or monday and hopefully draw him out for some shrimp on a stick. I did not find the shrimp anywhere which I did check for, and given how fast he ate it the last time I truly believe he did consume it, but who knows with this mysterious creature :smile:

LOL (note I am emphathising, not laughing at you). I have found that journaling is extremely helpful for keeping up with when and how long. I appreaciate anyone who wants to read my journals but I keep them primarily for this purpose (and to do something with my photo :biggrin2:) so I can go back into my prior animals if I think something is strange or seems to be setting a pattern.

I am glad to see your frustration is beginning to wane. We are seeing Cassy every night at supper now (not so with Tank), right out in the open and obviously looking at us. I can't tell if she wants to eat us or is curious but we love the supper displays. I am just about convinced that moving water across the top of the tank is the reason we see so much passing cloud (daily) with her and am thinking about altering Tatanka's set up to see if he will react similarly.

So I got out my bright flashlight that can peer into even the tiny holes. Sure enough I found him. The hole is roughly as thick as a pencil. So I cut a tiger shrimp in half, it's roughly the size of the octopus' mantle. I put it on a stick dangled it around and shinned the flashlight not on the food but in the general area so I could see. I could see the arm moving around. I moved it closer and the arm is swinging around. Next something I did not expect to happen, the entire octopus came out! He quickly pulled it off the stick! (this is the second time he pulled it off vs engaging me in a tug of war). Next he tried to take the shrimp back through the hole but of course it won't fit. I poke the shrimp a bit more to give him a bit of a fight so he doesn't give up and sure he enough he's forced it halfway in. What strength! Since the shrimp is stuck I can check on it in an hour or 2 and see if he's actually eating although I am fairly certain he is indeed eating the shrimp now.

Finding a light fixture and screw-in red bulb to leave over the tank (and can be left on 24/7) would enhance your viewing by 100 fold. On Cassy's tank we have a simple shop light (it looks like an ugly silver cone with an equally ugly pinch clamp with cord and on/off switch). CaptFish located a red fluorescent screw in light at his local hardware store and I have since found them at Home Depot and Walmart. Both Cassy and Tatanka den under their red lighting and either can choose a den away from it. The fixture I mentioned gives off enough light to easily see in the tank but not enough for looking into cracks. Unfortunately, none of my photos of Cassy's tank show the fixture (probably because it is ugly :oops:) but I will photograph it if you would like. There are, of course, other options for something more esthetic but this is simple, cheap and easily removed.

That's okay. I'm still trying to stay away from 24/7 lighting.

I was really surprised at what I just saw. I went and looked over and through okay good he's eating the shrimp. I look closer, that's not the octopus. I saw not one but 2 GIANT polyclads! I hope these guys are not harmful to octopi. I figure he can take care of himself against these wimpy slugs but I want to be sure. I actually tried to exterminate them myself but I could not reach with tweezers. One went back into the rock. I stabbed the other one but it will no doubt recover.

This one was probably 2x3 but I am just guestimating. The biggest one I've seen. The good news is the octopus was likely still holding onto the shrimp. Either that or he wedged it really good in the rock. I will check again in the morning but I suspect even if the octopus doesn't eat it all those other creatures will consume it.

Seeing as how quickly he has grabbed the shrimp several times I think it's a safe bet to assume he is indeed consuming it.

Believe it or not this is the second, well actually 3rd tank I've had that has been infested with polyclads. The first 2 had stuff going back and forth so that's not a surprise but nothing from my display tank has ever made it into the octopus' tank and just a few small frags on plugs not rock from the frag tank. In a reef they are really annoying they killed most of my snails, I also had a sand dollar that actually lived for a couple of months only to be consumed by these guys and I lost a clam to them as well.

There's nothing in the octopus tank that they could kill other then him, but as I already said I think he can take care of himself. Never the less I think I will put a piece of shrimp on the sandbed for them tomorrow night and try and catch them.

I am assuming from the size, these are not brissleworms but are a member of the flat worm family, some that I saw in the Googled images look pretty cool and like a nudibranch (assuming a possible relationship without doing research). Knock on wood, I have never had flat worms in my tanks but have read mysery from those who have been inundated. I suspect you are right about the octo at his current size (probably would be food as a hatchling though) but an informed answer would be better than my second guessing. However, he has lived this long with them without harm and that is likely a clue.

One thought though. You might try to remove the shrimp IF the octopus does not have a backdoor. We have had one occasion that suggests a starfish was able to kill an octo trapped in a single door den. Your little guy can likely remove the shrimp (and may not give it up if you try to pull it out) but unless you know he has a way out, I would not leave the blocked doorway overnight.

Think of regular flatworms and increase their size by 1000

This is not my photo but this is what they look like
Kaburakia%20excelsa%20polyclad%201.jpg

I saw one like that on a guys hand when I googled them. Not the prettiest of the group for sure but they would be kind of interesting to observe in their own tank :roll: (but then I put a pair of aptasia in their own 2 gallon just to see them multiply :wink:).

I still wish I could convince you to try a night light on the tank. Since my O.briareus CHOOSE to live where it shines I think you would find benefit without negative impact. You could put it on a night only cycle but I am not sure what the result would be for leaving it on for only a few hours at night.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back