Staff member
Webmaster

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
tonmo said:
:mrgreen:

I just reserved www.bottomtrawling.com. What shall I put there?
Perhaps I'm crude, but my first thought is a large image of buttocks, with a "trawl this!" message...

- M (always a fan of mooning as a political statement)

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Ok, let me know if what's there now works...

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
tonmo said:
:mrgreen:

I just reserved www.bottomtrawling.com. What shall I put there?
Neil Diamond CDs?? :twisted:

But seriously how about the info Steve O put on here (Tonmo) somewhere about the damage it does, y'know the before and after shots! Then the press release about the govt here (in NZ) starting to ban this practise.

J

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
OK, I've got a news feed going there; more to come. If anyone cares to take a crack at a logo, just shoot me your work at tony@bottomtrawling.com.

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Supporter
Tony--

Whatever you do with the page, make sure it comes across well. Too many people out there trying to do good but drive people away. Don't look like an activist, look like a smart, receptive guy with a good point :)

Dan

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
I'm with you -- that's the approach I am taking... always in pursuit of the truth, wherever it may lie! (It's the same way I think about blue rings in captivity). Thanks -

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
I first saw the link in the http://www.deepintuition.com/ ..and I thought "Hm...Tony's got another website?" And then moments later, out popped this thread! :)

What to put there...a link to TONMO.com's Marine Conservation catagory, the pictures and a newsfeed on Bottom Trawling.

(Don't forget to submit the page to the major search engines, or whatever similar things that is required for a site to be displayed on relevant search results...)

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
Tony,

The website is coming along. The news links are great and the overall tone is educational not overzealous ranting activist (not that you are, but some environmental groups can get a little out there...). Some day I will have to tell you about the time PETA stalked me for doing a workshop on squid dissection... Great job!

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Thanks! It will take some time but we will add to the content offered there. Bottom trawling will be our base subject matter but I hope it will be able to cover all aspects of general ocean ecology and health going forward. I'm glad you're visiting!

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Hear, hear, you also may want to add a link to my organization's marine ecology and resource management institute IMARES, devoted to developing sustainable fisheries and mapping the effects of bottom trawling amongst other things. A site should probably be on-line soonest, as this new institute has only today been announced :smile:

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Will do, just PM / email me when ready!

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
This is now a blog... editors welcome! Just PM or email me if you want to contribute... it has an easy to use interface and I can set you up with a login which allows us to keep a diary, comment on news, etc... It's getting there!

http://www.bottomtrawling.com/

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
I was reading a book I found on my shelf... "The Silent World" by Jacques Y. Cousteau written in 1950. He decided to watch a trawl net under water...

"Perched above the grassy floor I saw the towline of the net arrive. It looped back to the rigid gate which scraped along the bottom, breaking down grasses and spreading destruction to the tiny creatures of the prairie. Fishes leaped away like rabbits running from a reaper. The vast envelope of net passed me, puffed up with water. The broken grass arose slowly in the track of destruction. I was astonished to see how many fish escaped the monster, and how much it destroyed of future fish stocks and pasturage. Man's method of undersea farming seemed to consist of blighting the acre while reaping a small part of the crop."

So over 50 years ago, he noted the destructive forces of bottom trawling and yet in continues today... sad, huh?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Muir

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards