Bottom Trawling (SCOOP)

myopsida said:
It is massive - the little guys and the environmentalists have been conned and outwitted - I agree, a great start, but it will make it impossible to get any additional protected areas in coastal and offshore reefs in trawlable depths which are at greatest risk!

My first reaction exactly (probably formulated more clearly :wink: ). Saw the snippet on the news yesterday after a few episodes of Black Books (so that could be where the grumpiness and cyniscism come from)... showed a different map tho.

It's worth downloading the ppt presentation, there's a lot of nitty-gritty info and heaps of numbers (yay!). Of special interest is the blow-by-blow description of each area to be protected, and the rationale behind the decision. IIRC the news cast mentionned the fact that they are trying to protect untrawled areas. That's great, however it doesn't stop the current problems of permanent damage and stock depletion in NZ waters. I suppose in the long run, it creates a finite limit on the area that can ever be trawled... but everything is linked, food trickles down to the deep, fish and other critters migrate up and down the water column and in and out areas (spawning/feeding)....

As a good little paranoid conspiracy-theorist, i can't help but wonder why the industry, so firmly entrenched for years, has suddenly agreed (have they?) to such drastic closures. Have they realised that the expense of fishing those areas was too great? That the technology to do so wasn't coming fast enough? That it would distract their opponents from the areas they are fishing right now or intend to later? That it's all going down the drain real fast and they better buy themselves a conscience to prepare for reconversion?

... i don't think i'll be sleeping tonight... :goofysca:

TP:yinyang:TH

This is great news! Well done to everyone involved!!
I just hope it has more of an effect than the 1994 cod moratorium for Newfoundland/Grand Banks where there's been pretty much zero improvement to stocks. In my limited understanding of this the question seems to be where or onto which species will the fishing pressure shift to....

Nik

Look what happens when you go overseas and leave the fishing industry alone for a week Steve O :smile:
This is an awesome start, and one that was not really on the cards.

hmmm.... Dear Owen, sorry about the years of..............................
....................................................................... Im glad that you have seen the light........................................................The steps you have taken are very positive............................................

Your Friend: Steve O'Shea

"The deal will have a minimal effect on the industry, with less than 1 per cent of the area closed having been trawled previously. . . . It doesn't close where we do fish ....." Mr Barratt (managing director of Sanford and spokesman for the deep-water trawling companies) said.

I will not bite, I will not take the bait, but I know where you are coming from C. My 'few days' of going easy on the fishing industry have stretched into a few weeks - am ever-so-slightly preoccupied with other stuff. Sigh.

"An international team of researchers, led by the University of Aberdeen, revealed that sharks have failed to colonise at depths greater than 3,000 metres, meaning that the deepest oceans of the world appear to be shark free. Scientists do not know why sharks are absent from the deep but suggest one possible reason could be due to lack of food. "
Now what would be a good reason not to trawl in those depths...hhmmmmmm??

Steve O'Shea said:
I will not bite, I will not take the bait, but I know where you are coming from C. My 'few days' of going easy on the fishing industry have stretched into a few weeks - am ever-so-slightly preoccupied with other stuff. Sigh.

I will not bite, I will not bite, I will not bite, I .....

But yooze sure relayin intrastin stuff wotz almost got me biting! I've got one final week of adminisphere to get over yet ....

Hey, I'll get Matt to forward you an MS. I'm not biting, but others are .....

I was thinking that the industry might be able to use this as leverage later on.
ie, "We have already made consessions, and we are not going to concede any more". Its obviously a good thing, but perhaps it made a full ban more unlikely?
Jim's a good guy, and I think he's definately trying for a full ban, but I dont think the government wants to annoy the industry. Its all very wishy washy as noone wants to go the whole hog.

One thing I thought was weird, the government said it was looking for a possible international ban on BT, but only with other nations support. I was surprised that they didnt think they could go it alone, given our fairly independent mindset. However saying that, we politely complain about "scientific" whaling, but noone(officially) ever steps up and says that is all obviously bollocks.

Ugh politics suck! :biggrin2:

I'm definitely late responding to this, but I haven't been on the computer much for the past few weeks and just got around to reading the original post. Add my congrats to the rest! We don't get much good news on the conservation front, and every little bit helps.

myopsida said:
"An international team of researchers, led by the University of Aberdeen, revealed that sharks have failed to colonise at depths greater than 3,000 metres, meaning that the deepest oceans of the world appear to be shark free. Scientists do not know why sharks are absent from the deep but suggest one possible reason could be due to lack of food. "
Now what would be a good reason not to trawl in those depths...hhmmmmmm??

Whilst counting rivets, I did notice that at least one specimen of the species Centroscymnus coelolepis (Portugese dogshark) had been captured at 3675 meters below, so at least they made it that far down...

OK, back to the beer,

Olaf

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back