Bottom Trawling (SCOOP)

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Just announced today .... or about to in ~ 20 minutes!

Jim Anderton is the New Zealand Minister of Fisheries!

:smile:

Attachments

• conv_302496.jpg
    conv_302496.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 127
  • conv_302497.jpg
    conv_302497.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 95
  • conv_302498.jpg
    conv_302498.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 103
.. and a CU on the last page.

It looks like some progressive management is actually happening. Stay tuned for more results!

Attachments

• conv_288808.jpg
    conv_288808.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 135
It's massive!!!! Little guys and the environment won out!

You would have to download the huge powerpoint slide show to see it all, and there's typical industry spin throughout, but congratulations to the industry are warranted. WHerever you see a heavy red line on the attached map WILL(maybe) BE CLOSED TO BOTTOM TRAWLING!! Stippled means extending into international waters.

Go to www.seafood.co.nz
(and wait 30 mins to download)

It's about 30%!! of the EEZ. A lot of it is deep and featureless, but a lot of it is not! First steps! A most excellent start!

Attachments

• conv_288809.jpg
    conv_288809.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 74
Update
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3572218a10,00.html

New bottom trawling deal announced
14 February 2006

A draft agreement has been reached with deepwater fishing companies to close more than 30 per cent of New Zealand's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) to bottom trawling, Fisheries Minister Jim Anderton said today.

[click link above to read entire article]

This is great news. Well done to all those involved in pushing this legislation through.

Steve O'Shea said:

. A lot of it is deep and featureless, but a lot of it is not! First steps! A most excellent start!

Good observation! BUT: Apart from the Kermadec/Colville ridge area, which is generally too rocky and rugged to trawl anyway, the areas selected are far beyond the depths capable of being reached by current trawling technology (2+ km deep!) and are among the lowest areas of biomass on the planet (virtual biological desserts). It is massive - the little guys and the environmentalists have been conned and outwitted - I agree, a great start, but it will make it impossible to get any additional protected areas in coastal and offshore reefs in trawlable depths which are at greatest risk!

myopsida said:
I agree, a great start, but it will make it impossible to get any additional protected areas in coastal and offshore reefs in trawlable depths which are at greatest risk!

M, a 'little bird' tells me that there is 'ongoing consultation' regarding the NE coast of North Island, which has been specifically excluded from consideration in this first proposal (so we'll not discount the possibility of something happening in that region in the not-too-distant future). The Kermadec closure is undoubtedly the most important of all - the scale of that truly impresses me - it is a staggering concession on the part of the industry. My only comment today, because I have been quoted as saying that "I'll give the fishing industry a day off from criticism" (unusually generous of me; it's probably giving myself a day off more than anything), is that I would have liked to have seen something substantial set aside on the Norfolk & Lord Howe Rise's (mostly in international waters, so not really relevant here), and the Macquarie Ridge/Puysegur Trench region.

The good thing about this is that the industry have shown their cards, and they consider the figure of 30% to be the baseline starting point for negotiation.

I remain a positive chappy. The tide has turned.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back