Bottom Trawling (SCOOP)

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by Steve O'Shea, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

Just announced today .... or about to in ~ 20 minutes!

Jim Anderton is the New Zealand Minister of Fisheries!

:smile:

Attached Files:

2. Steve O'Shea

.. and a CU on the last page.

It looks like some progressive management is actually happening. Stay tuned for more results!

Attached Files:

3. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

fingers crossed here, senior'!

4. Steve O'Shea

It's massive!!!! Little guys and the environment won out!

You would have to download the huge powerpoint slide show to see it all, and there's typical industry spin throughout, but congratulations to the industry are warranted. WHerever you see a heavy red line on the attached map WILL(maybe) BE CLOSED TO BOTTOM TRAWLING!! Stippled means extending into international waters.

Go to www.seafood.co.nz
    (and wait 30 mins to download)

It's about 30%!! of the EEZ. A lot of it is deep and featureless, but a lot of it is not! First steps! A most excellent start!

Attached Files:

5. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

8-) :thumbsup:

Cool deal, Steve! Thanks for the heads-up! I'll sticky this to give it top billing.

6. Steve O'Shea

Update
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3572218a10,00.html

New bottom trawling deal announced
    14 February 2006

A draft agreement has been reached with deepwater fishing companies to close more than 30 per cent of New Zealand's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) to bottom trawling, Fisheries Minister Jim Anderton said today.

[click link above to read entire article]

7. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Congratulations! Amazing that they are willing to take "interim measures" to protect the environment.

8. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

congrats, Steve. Hope more good news will follow after these first steps in the right direction!

9. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

This is great news. Well done to all those involved in pushing this legislation through.

10. Euprymna

Euprymna O. vulgaris Registered

cool indeed! Let's just hope other nations will follow...

eups

11. myopsida

myopsida Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Good observation! BUT: Apart from the Kermadec/Colville ridge area, which is generally too rocky and rugged to trawl anyway, the areas selected are far beyond the depths capable of being reached by current trawling technology (2+ km deep!) and are among the lowest areas of biomass on the planet (virtual biological desserts). It is massive - the little guys and the environmentalists have been conned and outwitted - I agree, a great start, but it will make it impossible to get any additional protected areas in coastal and offshore reefs in trawlable depths which are at greatest risk!

12. Toren

Toren Vampyroteuthis Supporter

That's the best Valentine's gift of all!

13. Steve O'Shea

M, a 'little bird' tells me that there is 'ongoing consultation' regarding the NE coast of North Island, which has been specifically excluded from consideration in this first proposal (so we'll not discount the possibility of something happening in that region in the not-too-distant future). The Kermadec closure is undoubtedly the most important of all - the scale of that truly impresses me - it is a staggering concession on the part of the industry. My only comment today, because I have been quoted as saying that "I'll give the fishing industry a day off from criticism" (unusually generous of me; it's probably giving myself a day off more than anything), is that I would have liked to have seen something substantial set aside on the Norfolk & Lord Howe Rise's (mostly in international waters, so not really relevant here), and the Macquarie Ridge/Puysegur Trench region.

The good thing about this is that the industry have shown their cards, and they consider the figure of 30% to be the baseline starting point for negotiation.

I remain a positive chappy. The tide has turned.

14. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Saw this on the news last night and thought you'd be having a celebratory drinkie or two!!

J

15. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:cheers:

16. TPOTH

TPOTH Vampyroteuthis Registered

My first reaction exactly (probably formulated more clearly :wink: ). Saw the snippet on the news yesterday after a few episodes of Black Books (so that could be where the grumpiness and cyniscism come from)... showed a different map tho.

It's worth downloading the ppt presentation, there's a lot of nitty-gritty info and heaps of numbers (yay!). Of special interest is the blow-by-blow description of each area to be protected, and the rationale behind the decision. IIRC the news cast mentionned the fact that they are trying to protect untrawled areas. That's great, however it doesn't stop the current problems of permanent damage and stock depletion in NZ waters. I suppose in the long run, it creates a finite limit on the area that can ever be trawled... but everything is linked, food trickles down to the deep, fish and other critters migrate up and down the water column and in and out areas (spawning/feeding)....

As a good little paranoid conspiracy-theorist, i can't help but wonder why the industry, so firmly entrenched for years, has suddenly agreed (have they?) to such drastic closures. Have they realised that the expense of fishing those areas was too great? That the technology to do so wasn't coming fast enough? That it would distract their opponents from the areas they are fishing right now or intend to later? That it's all going down the drain real fast and they better buy themselves a conscience to prepare for reconversion?

... i don't think i'll be sleeping tonight... :goofysca:

TP:yinyang:TH

17. Nik

Nik Blue Ring Registered

This is great news! Well done to everyone involved!!
    I just hope it has more of an effect than the 1994 cod moratorium for Newfoundland/Grand Banks where there's been pretty much zero improvement to stocks. In my limited understanding of this the question seems to be where or onto which species will the fishing pressure shift to....

Nik

18. whip squid

whip squid Larval Mass Registered

bottom trawl fisheries

Hi Steve,
    Congrats for the news!
    Cheers,
    muchiika

19. squidviscious

squidviscious Cuttlefish Registered

Look what happens when you go overseas and leave the fishing industry alone for a week Steve O :smile2:
    This is an awesome start, and one that was not really on the cards.

hmmm.... Dear Owen, sorry about the years of..............................
    ....................................................................... Im glad that you have seen the light........................................................The steps you have taken are very positive............................................

Your Friend: Steve O'Shea

20. main_board

main_board Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Many congratulations to all people who worked to achieve this. It is definitely a step in the right direction.

Cheers!