BORA - A. aculeatus

Well I will keep atempting to get her to eat but I am hoping she is just a little spooked from her excape incident but I have a feeling she is on her last month or so so I'm trying to be as interactive as possible but I will keep you updated on her activity thank you for all the knowledge and advise I highly appreciate it. When bora passes should I try to get a younger octopus and journal the experience instead of getting one already grown and old

When bora passes should I try to get a younger octopus and journal the experience instead of getting one already grown and old

It is not like we have a lot of choice I am afraid. With cuttlefish, you can often get eggs (and should start that way or with someone who has raised them and knows the age), with octopuses, we see only wild caught and the age is difficult to tell in most cases. Quite often the Indonesian animals appear small (and thus young) only to turn out to be a dwarf species and fully grown. If you go with a Caribbean species, you might have a good chance of finding a young O. briareus but you will need a 60+ gallon tank for the adult animal. Most anything else is catch as catch can right now and likely to be that way for years to come. Depressing, I know but something anyone wanting to keep them must accept.

well im gonna have to accept it then i guess haha but is there any other species that is day active? but do you recommend to build a refugium and running a protein skimmer? is there any other filtration systems that are the more effective? thanks again for all the help

blljzy912;186423 said:
you recommend to build a refugium and running a protein skimmer?

Couldn't say a refugium is bad and many have gone far with a the basic set up of a sump with a protein skimmer etc. There has been some tanks that are hooked up to a refugium and no bad things had ever occured to the octopus.

blljzy912;186423 said:
Is there any other filtration systems that are the more effective?

Trickle filter? Those are the best of the best.

I highly recommend a protein skimmer. In addition to taking out some of the biologic waste, they are a life saver in the case of heavy inking and a security factor in case you are not present even with light inking.

Adding a fuge is optional (IMO, a skimmer is not). I have dispensed with sump-refugium combinations and leave my sumps for water and hardware only but have entertained adding a second tank for macros (but not experimented with one yet).

As with most marine tanks, you will see all kinds of filtration, many work well. I tend toward the simple and easiest to maintain (a requirement for the 9 tanks I keep). Most of my tanks overflow into a sump that contains only a filter sock and carbon bag and my skimmer. I wash the socks weekly when I do my 5 gallon water changes and rinse the carbon (swapping it with a bag I rinsed the week before and keep in fresh RO water). The only additives I use are vitamins and a bit of calcium (not needed for octopuses, beaks are chitin - like your fingernails - not calcium based).

That's what's I'm running right now a skimmer and a home made container full of carbon but my brother is a reef guy and so I've been going by what he tells me to do to keep my tank from crashing and that is to do everything natural without dosing anything to maintain the chemistry of the water but in this case bora is my priority and not the reef so is there anything to dose that is a Benifit to her but the tank won't rely on but so a trickle filter is what I wanna check out forsure

Yea I do my water changes every other week and 20 percent and it has kept my levels straight but I have captured more pictures tonight so I will post them in a few minutes

so i was trying to get some good pictures as i always do and i spooked her a little when my phone went close to the tank and i captured one of my favorite pictures of bora.

Attachments

• conv_299000.jpg
    conv_299000.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 127
  • conv_299001.jpg
    conv_299001.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 139
Cuddlycuttlefsh;186494 said:
Hungry for updates
:shock:

Well bora seems like she is on her last limb she hasn't ate anything for about a week and she is barly coming out for about 5 mins at a time and then going to her den.

Is there anything else that you can describe that has not been mention in your last post? Has she covered the entrance to her den at night or any "nocturnal" wandering that may relate to senescence? Has she usually gone out during the daytime? And what skin patterns has she produced?

HTML:
Cuddlycuttlefsh;186611 said:
Is there anything else that you can describe that has not been mention in your last post? Has she covered the entrance to her den at night or any "nocturnal" wandering that may relate to senescence? Has she usually gone out during the daytime? And what skin patterns has she produced?

Yesterday has been the first day I haven't seen her at all since I got her. She doesn't change patterns at all anymore she's always just a darker brown and she has covered up one den of hers but the den she's been using recently is open. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and looked in my tank but no sign of here

Believe it or not, when some octopi have multiple dens (or just two) the tendancy of moving from one den to another might be manipulated by the octopuses mood at the time.
Any eggs yet?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back