• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Book Review!

Suzy

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi, GUys!

I am new here, but I have had marine fish for quite some time. I am attempting to breed a few spp, having some success with some and am looking to branch out to cephalopods. I just finished a great book on Cephalopds, written by a pair of authors who recommended this site. Anyone here have cuttlefish?!

This book is great and has given my enough confidence to try these unusual fish. I am raising some live foods for my other fry, and I am hoping these will be sufficient for cuttles. I have 4 eggs, purchased by a local fish store owner. They are very dark right now.

I have these in a fish breeder, floating in a nursery tank. The nursery has very tiny pipefish, enclosed in their own kriesal nursery. Is this the best water flow for the eggs? Do I want enough flow to move the eggs, or just enough to oxygenate them?

Wouldn't be a book by Colin Dunlop and Nancy King would it? They are staff on this forum! Gentle note! Cephalopods are not fish, they are molluscs, like snails etc. Be aware when your eggs hatch the babies are very likely to try to eat your baby pipefish!

:welcome:

Cheers

Jean

:welcome: Suzy, it is great to welcome yet one more experienced SWT keeper into the fold. Enjoy your stay with us!

Thanks, Guys!

I love your signature. Sad, but true....I work in medicine and I see it everyday.

Yes, that is the book! It is great! But, now, putting it into action, I need just a bit o' experienced advice.

I look at these eggs every hour or so, (Patience in my middle name!) and they seem to be shrinking? Just my imagination, I hope. Do I want flow on them, like clownfish eggs? Because they are not attached, the flow I want to use moves them into suspension. Do I want them to be stationary or is it ok if they are turning? I don't want he little guys to get motion sickness!

Dorry worry about the pipe fry. They are in a seperate nursery. Thanks for the heads up about them not being fish!

I just hatched out my first 2 this week. Had them in a breeder on the bottom with low flow and no movement of the eggs. It may take them some time to hatch and mine took a little over a week. Once they hatch they wont feed for a few days. Heres a really great article for you to read on them from Thales.

Welcome to Daisy Hill Cuttle Farm!

Good luck! :smile:

Yes, thanks!

OK, I read that article for like the 10th time! I am a big fan of him on RDO!

I have the flow super light.....keeping my fingers crossed....

Yes im wondering the same thing on the flow for the cuttle fish eggs and the babies!!! I have 12 eggs altogether and 2 have hatched!!! Ya!!! Is this suzy from Utah? What are you planning on feeding ur cuttle babies after they hatch? Is amy ur friend?

I am from Utah! Who are you?

I have a few tanks growing amphopods, 8 buckets growing copepods, and a few nurseries filled with rubble growing mysis.I only have 4 eggs, though. How are you going to feed 12?! The 2 taht have hatched, how tiny are they?

Suzy;147425 said:
I am from Utah! Who are you?

I have a few tanks growing amphopods, 8 buckets growing copepods, and a few nurseries filled with rubble growing mysis.I only have 4 eggs, though. How are you going to feed 12?! The 2 taht have hatched, how tiny are they?

They are 3/8 to a 1/2 inch!!! one is bigger than the other!!!! Im adam I know u from chad!!! And brandon at the aquairum said u bought the other eggs!! I order 8 more just to make sure I get good odds!! There awesome to watch and eat!!! If u have any extran live food that i could purchase that would be great!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back