• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Book Review!

They hatched! I am getting Cuttled for Christmas! Really, I was planning on another form of cuddling, this is an added bonus!

But, I am a bit worried about them. The eggs never got lighter, they are still very black. Did they hatch premature?

Also, how delicate are they? I want to move them into another nursery, to be able to keep tiny food near them. Can I use a turkey baster like I do with seahorse fry? Or should I try to get them into a large ladle? Big spoon thing?

I was planning on using smaller copepods than I have now, A tonsa, a calanoid copepod but the person I am attempting to get them from hasn't shipped them yet. Poor planning on my part. I do have the larger copepod T californius or Tiggerpods. Fingers crossed these are small enough? I have 8 buckets of them!

Congratulations!

My eggs never lightened up either and the hatchlings are doing fine.

If it were me, i would keep them in the breeder and not move them unless its necessary. I dont plan on letting mine out of the breeder for the next few weeks at least.

I'm sure the tiggers are small enough for them. At least they were for mine...maybe too small. :smile:

I need to move them into a specialized nursery because I do not have enough food to let it feed my whole 300 gallon system! The holes n the breeder are too large to keep the food in....

Hi Suzy,

I'm one of the authors of the book you bought - Colin and I are always glad to find people using and appreciating our book, so thanks for the nice words.
Quite a few people on the site have raised cuttles from eggs, and I'm sure you'll be hearing from Thales, too. But you seem to be off to to a good start.

Nancy

moving baby cuttles

I moved my babys cuttles by filling a large bowl up then placing my breeder net in the bowl then moving the hole thing to my nursery tank that feeds off my 210 reef tank!! there are 4 hacthed know yay!!!:smile:

Thanks, Nancy! Your book is wonderful! Very informative and inspiring. I do hope to be able to breed cephalopds one day. I am looking for a new challenge!

I was able to use a turkey baster to move these wee ones, just like seahorse fry! I really hope there are similarities between these spp. Maybe basic knowledge about marine fish (or mollusks!) will span to mollusks!

So, they are now in a kriesal nursery, with fresh water flowing in from my 300 gallon system, and swimming in copepods!

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Hey I actually just got this book for christmas! It really is great! I recognized some of the pictures too. :smile:

Anyway happy holidays to you all!

Isn't it great? I volunteer at our local public aquarium, and this book is being bought by all the marine biologists there! I showed it to them, but made an excuse why they couldn't borrow it. I have lost way too many books!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back