Book Review: Field Guide to Squids and Octopods of the Eastern North Pacific...

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
On Amazon's recommendation, I just got a new book I haven't seen mentioned here before:

Jorgensen, Elaina M. Field Guide to Squids and Octopods of the Eastern North Pacific and Bering Sea 2009 ISBN 978-1-56612-139-2

This is a great reference to the local cephs off the U.S. and Canadian Northern West Coast. Lots of color pictures, and good illustrations. It has an extensive glossary, and of course an identification key, and index of common and scientific names. It doesn't cover Southern California, so it's missing our friends the bimacs, but it appears to be almost complete for the cephalopod fauna of the Pacific Northwest... the only omission I've noticed is Architeuthis.

At $25, I highly recommend it.

The problem is that if I bought it, I would want one from that area and I am determined NOT to add a chiller into my octo tanks. May just have to peek at it on-line though and stick it on my wishlist.

Thanks so much for reviewing Field Guide to Squids and Octopods of the Eastern North Pacific and Bering Sea, Monty.

I bought it when it first came out and I admire the way the authors have put together this guide. It really is made to be used in the field, having plasticized covers, a ruler printed on the inside back cover, maps, and so forth.

The color photos of the cephs described seem to be of dead specimins, some dissected, with additional photos of the live animals, maps showing where they are found.

Alaska Sea Grant, which publishes this book and others, has an interesting web site and online bookstore which shows you how it realler is tougher in Alaska! It's worth taking a look.

Nancy

My copy came today. Very interesting book, I like the field guide aspect of it. it is stange how most of the pictures are of dead specimens not live. I hope to see more like this for other regions, heck I want one for ALL regions.

I'm pretty impressed with what I saw; I'll order a copy (it is one of those books that will get harder to get as time passes).

Graneledone boreopacifica/pacifica .... what a headache. The genus is a headache! (I've been working on it today.)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back