Bonjour!

WDLV

Hatchling
Registered
Hi group. I've been keeping aquatic critters since I was knee high to a grasshopper and reefs in particular for about twelve years. I am curious about other aspects of sw critter keeping. I attended a conference a few years ago for my local reef club (CMAS) where one of your very experienced members did a presentation on cephalopods.
These have long been a distant fascination of mine... cuttlefish in particular.

I was hoping some of you might be willing to share your opinions about what might be a good species to start with. As I said, I like cuttles, but would be more than happy to start with another genus if it's the better place to start. Maybe a bluering. JK! I love my family too much to bring one into my home.
Something that won't break the bank with the initial purchase or kill me on feeding costs.
Also I would like to know if there are any concerns I should know about with regard to introducing diseases via food sources. IE FW fish or the like. Oh yeah and are they smart enough to stay out of powerheads or does their curiosity tend to get the best of them?
Regards,
Walt

:welcome: to TONMO. Very good questions all... and for starters, I'd suggest reading the cuttle care articles under the ARTICLES button at the top of the page. A few of the easy answers: Sepia bandensis is really the only species commonly available, powerheads can sometimes be a problem, and the only common contaminant is that copper-based medications commonly used on fish are toxic to cephs, and can stay in the sealant of tanks for years.

I expect some of the experienced cuttle-keepers will chime in with more info shortly...

Hi and welcome to TONMO!:welcome:

I'm the person who gave the talk at CMAS a couple of years ago. Glad it inspired you, and you'll find good information in our forums and articles.

Be careful with the powerheads - you need to make sure no curious arms or tentacles can be injured, so that usually means selecting a powerhead carefully, and using sponge or netting to protect your ceph.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back