Bonita - O.Mexico(?)

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Anxiously waiting the arrival of my new buddy. i ordered two from LA, one Indonesian, which I half expect to be A.aculeatus, and I also ordered one of their octopuses from Mexico....they are suppose to be here by 3pm..I'm sitting here gazing down my driveway willing the Fedex truck to get here

:octorun:

Ok one i pretty sure is aculeatus, Once i had him acclimating is was much more obvious, The other one the tiny guy, i have no idea what he is. so far he has displayed some amazing colors and patterns.

The little one has a mantle that is about 1/2"
and the aculteaus is about 3/4"

Top two are the Mexican octo, and the bottom two are the aculeatus

Attachments

• conv_299736.jpg
    conv_299736.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 136
  • conv_299737.jpg
    conv_299737.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
  • conv_299738.jpg
    conv_299738.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 147
  • conv_299739.jpg
    conv_299739.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 108
I'm guessing hummelincki in the Mexican The speckled peach underside would be one coloration for diagnositics but I don't recognized those odd spots behind the eyes. What color are the rims of the suckers? They would be a blue/purple color in hummelincki.

I am counting my pennies. Want one!!

OK, I had a little birthday money that covered over half so Neal said I could order one so I should see it this week :biggrin2:. Do you remember if it said "medium" when you ordered?

DWhatley;187361 said:
OK, I had a little birthday money that covered over half so Neal said I could order one so I should see it this week :biggrin2:. Do you remember if it said "medium" when you ordered?

They both say medium and from when I first checked it was that price, so I would assume thats what he ordered. I am so jealous... just no where to put a new one!

@Capt- He/She is a beauty! And sooooo tiny!

I dont think it is a hummelinki as it has no eye spots and i have had them in the past and it just doesn't really look like it. I think the key to IDing this one is the eye spots on the mantle that D pointed out.

my LFS has a constant supply of the hummelincki's. They have a new one whenever i go in there.

D- Yes it was labelled as medium.....wonder what do they call small?! this is the smallest one i have ever had.

I'm pretty sure both are female.

Attachments

• conv_299741.jpg
    conv_299741.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 99
  • conv_299742.jpg
    conv_299742.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 99
Well, not O. maya (I finally found an actual description and photos) because the eye spots are similar to O.hummelincki (of course the eye spots don't always show so keep looking :wink:). Those marks behind the eyes do look as if they might be diagnostic but I don't recall markings like that ever being mentioned. It seems like they would still be called ocelli since they appear as eye spots and location should not change the name.

However, there are a pair of white spots (usually located much farther back on the mantle) that I have seen in all my animals and in almost all species in photos. I asked Mucktopus if she knew what they were and she acknowledged knowing about them and that their function was unknown and wondered if they might be used for communication. I watched for them to display when Diego flirted with LittleBit but they were never visible. These spots are different though. Not only are they much further forward but they are also surrounded with a dark circle. More fun research ahead (what I would have given for the internet when I was in school!)!

Wow....how did I miss these new arrivals!!!!!! Congrats! I saw the in-stock email come through and almost ordered a medium mexican but thank goodness I didn't yet....See Squids' thread!!:mrgreen:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back