Bonita - O.Mexico(?)

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Anxiously waiting the arrival of my new buddy. i ordered two from LA, one Indonesian, which I half expect to be A.aculeatus, and I also ordered one of their octopuses from Mexico....they are suppose to be here by 3pm..I'm sitting here gazing down my driveway willing the Fedex truck to get here

:octorun:

SabrinaR

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Registered
Take lots of pictures! I am anxiously waiting right along with you. Had my 65 been anywhere close to ready I would have done it myself!

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
ok i just opened the bag....one octo is tiny and one is small. neither one look familiar and neither was labeled.....working on acclimation and pics...

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Ok one i pretty sure is aculeatus, Once i had him acclimating is was much more obvious, The other one the tiny guy, i have no idea what he is. so far he has displayed some amazing colors and patterns.

The little one has a mantle that is about 1/2"
and the aculteaus is about 3/4"

Top two are the Mexican octo, and the bottom two are the aculeatus

Attachments

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
I'm guessing hummelincki in the Mexican The speckled peach underside would be one coloration for diagnositics but I don't recognized those odd spots behind the eyes. What color are the rims of the suckers? They would be a blue/purple color in hummelincki.

I am counting my pennies. Want one!!

DWhatley

Staff member
OK, I had a little birthday money that covered over half so Neal said I could order one so I should see it this week :biggrin2:. Do you remember if it said "medium" when you ordered?

SabrinaR

Registered
DWhatley;187361 said:
OK, I had a little birthday money that covered over half so Neal said I could order one so I should see it this week :biggrin2:. Do you remember if it said "medium" when you ordered?

They both say medium and from when I first checked it was that price, so I would assume thats what he ordered. I am so jealous... just no where to put a new one!

@Capt- He/She is a beauty! And sooooo tiny!

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
I dont think it is a hummelinki as it has no eye spots and i have had them in the past and it just doesn't really look like it. I think the key to IDing this one is the eye spots on the mantle that D pointed out.

my LFS has a constant supply of the hummelincki's. They have a new one whenever i go in there.

D- Yes it was labelled as medium.....wonder what do they call small?! this is the smallest one i have ever had.

I'm pretty sure both are female.

Attachments

DWhatley

Staff member
Well, not O. maya (I finally found an actual description and photos) because the eye spots are similar to O.hummelincki (of course the eye spots don't always show so keep looking :wink:). Those marks behind the eyes do look as if they might be diagnostic but I don't recall markings like that ever being mentioned. It seems like they would still be called ocelli since they appear as eye spots and location should not change the name.

However, there are a pair of white spots (usually located much farther back on the mantle) that I have seen in all my animals and in almost all species in photos. I asked Mucktopus if she knew what they were and she acknowledged knowing about them and that their function was unknown and wondered if they might be used for communication. I watched for them to display when Diego flirted with LittleBit but they were never visible. These spots are different though. Not only are they much further forward but they are also surrounded with a dark circle. More fun research ahead (what I would have given for the internet when I was in school!)!

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Wow....how did I miss these new arrivals!!!!!! Congrats! I saw the in-stock email come through and almost ordered a medium mexican but thank goodness I didn't yet....See Squids' thread!!:mrgreen:

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
lol, wow you guys really thinks it hummelincki. having kept four of them i can tell you it is not. i'm 99% sure it is something else

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
well no sighting so far today. not that i expected any sightings......

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
well the at about seven the little one came out and is being quite social on the glass. we watched each other and followed each other around the tank for about twenty minutes. then she just went ans sat in the corner about mid water level, and she is just watch me. the lights went out at eight so for about twenty minutes it has been dark and she is still just watching me from the corner.

I need a feminine sounding Mexican food for a name...any ideas? Taco is too masculine...I got it BONITA!!! its a fish and it means small and pretty!

Attachments

SabrinaR

Registered
Shes beautiful! And Bonita is a good name... I like it.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnyegaard

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri