bobtail squids!!!

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by scooter, Nov 20, 2004.

1. scooter

scooter Cuttlefish Registered

one of my profeesors knows another professor who breeds these little guys. we want to get some for our invert tank at school and i quote from him, "if a couple of them end up in your tank at home, sometimes that happens". how cool is that!?! :mrgreen: so, what i need to know is all the basic care info for these little guys. and if they can go with other inverts like shrimp, crabs, etc. thanks in advance. this is going to be so cool. :jester:

2. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Re: bobtail squids!!!

Very cool! They can go in with other inverts if you don't mind one or other becoming dinner!!!! Most cephs dine on crustaceans and can tackle surprisingly large prey! If some "follow you home" it would be as well to read up the ceph care articles on this site. Much of what is true for octi's is so for these as well (eg no copper!!!) In addition these will need sand to bury in. Be aware that they are likely to be nocturnal.

Do you know what species??????

Oh and :welcome: Scooter!!!!!

J

3. Octomush

Octomush Vampyroteuthis Registered

NIce! :heee: I tried keeping a bobtail lsquid so far no luck though... And I havnt seen one in a whil... Steve O'SHea was goona help me make a a tank but... Hmmm.. Well good luck!

4. marinebio_guy

marinebio_guy Vampyroteuthis Registered

Bobtail squid aka Euprymna

I have helped culture and raise these guys for a several years. If it moves and is the same size as them or smaller they will try to eat it. They are nocternal and will perfer a fine substrate to hide under during the day. They don't seem to need a big aquarium. If you need any other info. let me know

5. scooter

scooter Cuttlefish Registered

marinebio_guy, any info at all would be great. we are trying to amass everything we can on these guys. any recomendations for tank size, filtration, etc. would be great.

6. marinebio_guy

Tank size depends on how many animals you have. Since they do not move around a lot you could keep one in somthing around 20 g I would have enough sand in the bottom for them to cover up with ~1in or more. I would not keep them with any fish or mobile carniverous inverts. due too them either being eaten or bothering the squid. I would have ample unobstructed sand for them to move around on. Any good filtration will work, lighting does not matter. You you want toobserve them when they come out at night I would have a moon light or a red light. It would alsobe helpful to know what species you have most likely scalopes or tazmanica.

If you need more info let me know.

7. Cephkid

Cephkid Sepia elegans Supporter

Are they Rossia pacifica or Euprymna scolopes? E. scolopes has flourescent bacteria, but R. pacifica lives 1-2 years. (E. scolopes lives only 3-10 months from egg to death.)

8. ezhoops

ezhoops Larval Mass Registered

anyone have any pics of these guys as I might be interested in keeping some

9. marinebio_guy

Check out "The cephalopod Page" they have pictures