• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Bobtail /Dumpling squid babies help!

gianniz

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Ok so I thought they won't hatch for 3-4month but they hatched within a month!
Now what do I do with the babies? I've removed all potential predators but I need to know what to feed them?
Help!

IMG_20131024_120248_zps41a59c0d.jpg

Have you removed the blue ring? I would try live food like mysids or amphipods. Do NOT try brine shrimp, they have little nutritional value. Can you move the babies to a small breeder tank so you can make sure they are eating?

If you are near the coast, you can do plankton tows to collect live small creatures.

Blue rings still there but its not effecting the dumpling babies.
My tank has fair bit of mysid already but I might have to go collect more.
Tried frozen prawns but its doesn't seem to think it's food. Oh even at this size it squirted ink! lol
I've caught few and place them in a breeder trap so I'll see if it eats frozen prawn peices.

I'm starting my second generation of bobtail squid right now, they'll feed on adult mysids immediately. I'm not quite sure why you thought they'd take 3-4 months; eye spots develop in just about 12 days and they usually hatch out in 3 weeks or so.

Live food only? I mean I guess I can go get them from the ocean but I don't think I can supply enough to keep all of them. Though apparently they will cannibalise each other if no food is provided. I might consider putting guppies in the tank for live food.
Other than that how do you supply enough mysid? Currently I only can see like a dozen of them but I have heaps more eggs.
Oh wiki told me it will take 3-4month for the eggs to hatch :smile: guess not all bobtails take that long.

Most cephalopod young can only be raised on live food and then weaned to frozen as they get older. Guppies from a pet store may have been treated with chemicals (especially copper) that could be toxic to the hatchlings.

If you want them to live, you will have to supply live mysids. You might just want to concentrate on getting a few to survive. In the ocean, only a few of those eggs would make it to adulthood anyway.

Wiki is not always correct...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back