• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

black light?

That's odd. I guess I'm surprised that UV units leak, and that it's an accepted fact. If thats the case then using them when breeding really doesn't make sense.

The units I've seen pass the water through a tube that goes through the unit, during which it is exposed to UV light. The light itself is supposed to be inclosed (except to the water in a small area) to prevent leakage and possible damage. UV units are used quite commonly in hobby ponds in North America (and other place), and it is common place to have your pond fish (koi, goldfish, and sometime orfe) spawn while sterilizing the water via UV. It happens where I work all the time. I think there is just something about this that I'm not understanding, but thats nothing new.

A little side note, I'm looking forward to meeting you, Jean, and others attending CIAC. Two weeks to the day I take off!!! Exciting stuff!

Cheers, Jesse

main_board said:
That's odd. I guess I'm surprised that UV units leak, and that it's an accepted fact. If thats the case then using them when breeding really doesn't make sense.

The units I've seen pass the water through a tube that goes through the unit, during which it is exposed to UV light. The light itself is supposed to be inclosed (except to the water in a small area) to prevent leakage and possible damage. UV units are used quite commonly in hobby ponds in North America (and other place), and it is common place to have your pond fish (koi, goldfish, and sometime orfe) spawn while sterilizing the water via UV. It happens where I work all the time. I think there is just something about this that I'm not understanding, but thats nothing new.

A little side note, I'm looking forward to meeting you, Jean, and others attending CIAC. Two weeks to the day I take off!!! Exciting stuff!

Cheers, Jesse

I agree, the stystem this company was using was as you describe and the had banjo filters over the inlets so the larvae etc couldn't get through. Perhaps the UV damages some essential bacteria in the water????

I'm looking forward to meeting all at CIAC too, when I'm not shaking in my boots at being stupid enough to say I'll give a talk..............:goofysca:

J

The program came out and I have to say I was definitely pleased that I knew and recognized some of the scientists. I'm sure that you'll to a great job! C ya then!

Cheers!

we have UV units in our labs at AUT but turn them off and stay clear of them for similar reasons to what Jean has witnessed. This is especially around squid & octo eggs and babies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back