Bizarre British beach beast

Emperor

GPO
Registered
"It was a bit of a mess and was badly decomposed. On first sight I thought it was a porpoise, but then I saw a long beak and was confused. But I think it's definitely a mammal."

Scott Davidson, displays manager at the Aquarium of the Lakes, Lakeside, The Lake District, disagreed.

He said he was pretty certain that Martin's mystery creature was in fact a 10-arm cephalopod mollusc.

The marine life expert said: "I reckon it's a squid and its tentacles have rotted away. But it's a pretty big example – they only normally grow to around 1ft.

"Where you would presume the head is, you can see its beak and where it would pump out water. And if it was decomposing it would certainly have stunk – they're notorious for that.

"What was seen as flippers could just be part of the decomposition. I'm 99% certain it is a squid."

Martin, 47, is now contemplating the possibility that if it is a new species it might even end up named after him.

But for now the Boardmanesis, Boardmanatee or perhaps even the Boardmanemo, is the subject of an investigation that has moved on to the Institute of Zoology, at Regent's Park, London.
Martin's mystery mammal was described as two and a half feet long, with what he said was a "body like a sealion but the bony head of a bird".

It also had what appeared to be two flippers. The bottom of the beak was thin and longer than the top and the creature was a dark tan colour on its back but lighter underneath.

http://www.prestontoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=73&ArticleID=831355

Its doubly intriguing as it is only an hour or sos drive up the coast from me.

Emps

Weird, I have to say it doesn't look squiddy to me! but thats not a very good picture! the description doesn't sound cephy either.......a bony head??????

still it will be interesting to hear what the museum people think!

Please keep us posted emps!

J

.... this 'professional cameraman' seems to have gone out of his way to take the most useless photo I've ever seen!!! Or perhaps it is the editor that has cropped it. There's not a lot that you can do with that; I wouldn't want to guess animal, mineral or vegetable.

PrestonToday wrote:

Martin's mystery mammal was described as two and a half feet long, with what he said was a "body like a sealion but the bony head of a bird". It also had what appeared to be two flippers.

Could this be it?

Sea_Beast.JPG

(sorry)

Oh for crying out loud!

People are so lazy! What a piss-poor photo! I remember when people used to put effort into their hoaxes! What about the Gulf Breeze UFOs, or the "Sugeon's Photo of the Loch Ness Monster", or at least "Alien Autopsy: Fact or Fiction"... Those had style. You would at least think that they could PhotoShop a tentacle and some wings and give it a more Cthulhu-esque quality. :cthulhu:

Then you could sell it to FOX. Or at least FOX News...

Sorry for being surly... Just that we've hit the height of election season here in the 'states and my IQ is taking a serious pounding from political ads. For the most part, I wish I could photoshop everyone in Washington, D.C. with tentacles and such.

Sushi and globsters :P

John

:twocents:

I think it's probably just a pinniped (seal, sea lion, etc.) that's lost its head. About a month ago I found a dead grey seal, perhaps two weeks into the decomposition process; the skull and neck vertebrae were completely exposed and ready to drop, and the skin had receded down to the flippers, exposing the shoulder bones and upper ribcage. The "beak" might just be broken, exposed bone protruding from the shoulder region.

Or, maybe it's a pinniparrot.

Clem

Aye, Clem... Truth is, its probbly not a "hoax" per se, and no one wants to believe in sea monsters more than I, but I 'm getting tired of sensationalism over actual sensation. This could be a giant squid, or something cool, but... Well, I would love to study evolutionary causes of apparent abyssal gigantism, but not every globster is a sea serpent.

Now, Phil, are you faking crop circles again? :wink:

Sushi and Gyoza,

John

Fujisawas Sake said:
Now, Phil, are you faking crop circles again? :wink:

Doh! I thought my stunningly rendered and incredibly convincing Sea-Beast picture would keep you all fooled for weeks; but no! It seems I have been rumbled within just a few hours. Please let me know, how did you all detect that my Sea-Beast photo was a forgery?

Mind you, I did not fake the corpse itself. Too expensive on latex.

:smile:

Well, whatever it was, it kept me chuckling all morning long, as I finished installing a sky light for a friend...and let me tell you, to chuckle in 110 degree temps on a roof is no small matter!
Awesome pic, Phil !!

Jean said:
Please keep us posted emps!

Will do - I'm just hoping for a better picture as that one could be just about anything. One thing that intrigued me was the description of the beak and the fact it was dark brown on top and light coloured underneath but as this stage it might mean diddly. Lets be honest if suggestions include a penguin and a platypus we are still just in the period filled with guessing games.

If there is nothing in a couple of weeks we can shake the cage of the good people at the Institue of Zoology:

www.zoo.cam.ac.uk/ioz/

It might also be worth keeping an eye out on the Lakeside 'Aquarium of the Lakes' website to see if there is any news:

aquariumofthelakes.co.uk

I went there last year and had a very good day out. For what it's worth here's a couple of pictures of fish and an otter I took there. Apologies that I can't remember exactly what sort of fish they were, but they were British freshwater species (first one possibly a Pike?).

Fish.JPG

Another_fish.JPG

Otter.JPG

Emperor said:
One thing that intrigued me was the description of the beak and the fact it was dark brown on top and light coloured underneath but as this stage it might mean diddly.

prob is that the desription of lower beak, longer than the upper is wrong for a ceph.........course the reporter probably wouldn't know a ceph beak if it came up and bit him!!! :biggrin2: and he could've been looking at it upside down!

I personally reckon is a rare example of the marine sassenach haggis which is very exciting as they haven't been seen dead or alive for more than a century and even then were only seen after extensive periods in the pub........they seemed to like to keep company with Nessie, Yeti, Bigfoot and the Sidhe (the wee folk...fairies!) :lol:

J

Just a thought, has anyone thought of contacting the place that has this thing:

"...But for now the Boardmanesis, Boardmanatee or perhaps even the Boardmanemo, is the subject of an investigation that has moved on to the Institute of Zoology, at Regent's Park, London..."

Better still does anyone know anyone that works there?

Apologies if someone has already suggested this
:P

Phil, your 1st fish is the "commom carp" Carpus carp carp in the same piccy lurking in the background nicely lit, is my fave to pursue, the pike Esox lucius known to have snatched our now extinct, native hippo Hippo megalogob form the shallows.

There again, is Hippo megalogob extinct ? Has Esox lucius eaten the last one & this is the remains ? If these remains are such & it was the last then Hippo megalogob is only now extinct & was recently extant, not extinct as originally thought. So where has Hippo megalogob beeen hiding prior to its extinction ? Preston ?

2nd piccy is the slimey bream Sticcii snottus
& 3rd is obviously their arch enemy the Tarka Destroyer [/i]Fraggus bennii[/i]

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back