• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Biomacs captive raised, from Oceanpro aquatics

i live in the mountains in NC... would it be too risky to try putting my tank on the concrete slab floor to help stabilize temperature?
The room i keep it in is the coolest one in the house because it is a converted garage and has a slab floor... so the temperature of the earth is keeping the floor cool...... the only time it would be a problem at all is maybe the hottest couple of months of the year.
???
anyone want to weigh in?
i am thinking about trying it.... but this would be my first ever Octopus and though ive been reading for years... have the books... magazine articles clipped... and have been successful with many tanks over the years.... it would suck to fail :frown:

how about you biomac owners out there? it seems that if they live in mud flats they would be pretty adaptable temp wise.
that thermal mass of concrete has saved a couple of tanks before when the power was out and the temp dropped... i could keep it much more stable in that room on the floor.

looking forward to your replies.

Bimacs are best kept at 17-19 C. They can tolerate temperatures down to 14 C, but don't do well when the temperature climbs above the low 20's. What is perhaps more important than absolute temperature is stability. Fluctuations of more than a few degrees should be avoided.

Roy

Oceanpro Aquatics has been advertising these for along time, but never seem able to deliver. Same problems with other species. Its too bad. There are old threads about them if you want to look, but the general consensus is to avoid them. Otherwise, what Roy said.

Welcome to TONMO!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back