• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Bimacs/Hummelincki? Available 3/21/17 Live Aquaria

I just unpacked my shipment of (3) "Mexico" Octopus Small from LiveAquaria.com and can confirm that at least one of the 3 is a good ole' twospot octo from days gone by! I have been on a notification list for months waiting for my chance. It seems like they have only "medium" available now and i haven't had a chance to really look at the other 2 to confirm the false eyes. I had to get back to the office and cant wait to get home to confirm the others. The small size octos form LA are realllly small. When they say 1.5" across, they are not kidding. Ill try to get my microscope out and get some clear photos. :wink: More to info and pics to come! Order while they are still avaialible!.

Can't wait for the pictures. I suspect these may be O. hummelincki if they are truly Mexican. They would be from the Gulf, not the Pacific and a warm water species. Best way I know of to tell the difference easily is to look at the sucker edging. If it is orange, then O. bimaculatus (cold water) is probable. If they are a purple/blue then O. hummelincki. Exciting either way but I might have to talk Neal into letting my buy one if O. hummelincki (warm water).

Oh poop! It is hard to tell sucker color because my lights are blue and these guys are so small. This is a picture of the one that I suspect was a bimac but now I'm thinking you may be correct. I didn't know that there was a Caribbean two spot.

i'm going to continue to try to get some pictures of them and I'll post as I get any good ones or more info.

PS if a mod can edit my title to delete "confirmed" or change the title all together, that would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4566.JPG
    IMG_4566.JPG
    377.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_4577.JPG
    IMG_4577.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:
I'm betting hummelincki which may actually be at least as desirable. If it were not for the main water leak with driveway repairs, broken washing machine and broken water heater this month I would so be ordering one.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back