• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Bimacs Escaping-A Quick Question

I forgot to ask- is there a reason no one's mentioned using rubber bands to secure netting? Is there a problem having rubber bands in the water or something?

Thanks everyone- you are all such a great help!

Hi girlfish,
I haven't heard of any problem using rubber bands to secure netting.
If you're covering an area above the water level, you can use duck tape, too.

Nancy

I have heard of adverse effects coming from black rubber (india rubber) bands in salt water, but the tan bands seem to be just fine.
Greg

Does the natural rubber (latex) decompose/degrade in the water? I was using nylon cable ties...they work, and may be harder for a ceph to remove, but at the same time I don't think they create as TIGHT a seal as a rubber band would, not being as flexible.

rusty

You are correct...the rubber does tend to fail after constant immersion in saltwater for more than a month...so you do have to change them. I usually did it when I cleaned out the impellers, etc.
Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back