• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Bimac safe fish?

squall7733

O. vulgaris
Registered
I've asked this question a few times but havnt really gotten an answer for it, mostly over looked among the plethora of my questions lol.

I've seen many photos with octos in tanks with other fish. Which leads me to wonder if its possible to safely keep any fish in the same tank. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any tips on which types of fish he wouldnt bother?

You have to be very careful, I would check out each fish you liked, look to see that the fish IS reef safe, if its not, then it will likely mess with the octo, also, make sure that the fish is not small enougth that the octo can easily eat it (the size of your octo or bigger) And lastly dont keep any fish that will be missed if they disappear, you can keep more fish while the octo is small, however as it grows it will be more likely to catch and eat the fish. If you have another tank to transfer the fish to, that would be ideal.

I dont think I have the heart to sacrifice even a little damselfish, ive grown quite accustom to the little guys as I cycle each tank I start with them, usualy the same damsels too!

In your avatar I see a octo with a fish. How did that work out? just out of curiousity, what type of fish?

At the moment they are seperated into a few different tanks. I could cycle them with my tank but I dont feel like putting them through the stress with this speed cycling thing I'm doing. That and my octo tank will have plenty of rocks, my damsels have endured many transfers from tank to tank, they have had lots of practice EVADING THE NET. I comend them for it, its acctualy fun sometimes, but unless I took every single rock out I probly would never catch them :nyah: I dont want to see them get eaten either ; ; I know its natural but I'm a softie :nyah: On the other hand fidler crabs just scream EAT ME.

It really is dependant on the attitude of the individual octopus...some really like to eat fish, some don't...unfortunately, the only way to find out is to experiment.

greg

randall has been liveing quite well with a cleaner shrimp for some time now. he dosent eaven seem to notice the shrimp. however any crab even the ones wich rival him in size are gone in seconds. however id always be concerned with fish especially damsells. dems fish are nasty.

The fish in my icon are Yellow damsels, I used 3 of them to cycle the tank, and just left them in there, they gave Ollie a good time, she would always try to catch them but never could, that is until one day I took out all the LR and the next thing I noticed within a 30 minute time period all the fish were gone. So it went good for a long time, but ended.

I hadnt really though about the damsels attacking the octo, just never occured to me before always thought it would be the other way around. I'll have alot of live rock in there maybe one day I will get brave and put 4-5 damsels in when my octo is on a large fidler diet.

Thanks for all your help everyone :smile:

You could also use Sloane's Viperfish...of course, you would have to pressurize the tank...

BOOM !!!

Seriously though, all of the damsels and their kin will pick and peck at octos...clowns won't, but end up being food in short order.
Some keepers have had luck with seahorses, but that is something I have never tried.

greg

cthulhu77 said:
You could also use Sloane's Viperfish...of course, you would have to pressurize the tank...

BOOM !!!

Seriously though, all of the damsels and their kin will pick and peck at octos...clowns won't, but end up being food in short order.
Some keepers have had luck with seahorses, but that is something I have never tried.

greg

We've kept Wrasses in with our Octopus, but that's in a very large tank (3600L) with lot's of hidey holes. Typically we dont' keep fish with octis. I wouldn't recommend keeping seahorses with an octopus. Seahorses are darn pernickety and don't do well if they are harrassed or in the presence of large amounts of waste (which octis produce!).

Cheers

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back