• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Bimac or Vulgaris?

I've got a question regarding tank size for any octo:

here in belgium (most of europe actually) we don't work with gallons but with liters.

anyone has an idea how many liters a gallon is?

btw,

there's 1 book on marine aquaria that I have which also contains info on cephs.

they speak of 30 - 35 gallon (120liter) for o. cyanea. If I'm not mistaking, cyanea is about the same size as vulgaris?

so I have to at least double that?

first I was thinking of vulgaris. but those available here are from the mediterranean and require a chiller. the one I cared for at aquatopia is kept at 17 -18°C.

A friend of mine works in an aquarium shop and can order cyanea. bimac or other, he wasn't sure he could get.

so it ll probably be vulgaris or cyanea. but which one? don't know yet

big size difference between bimac and vulgaris too... a bimac will be okay at room temp or up to mid twenties so will cyanea but it will get BIG :smile:

Even worse is that Uk gallons are bigger than US gallons too :smile:

Also, if the vulgaris is from the med then i think that room temp would be fine..

well, I'm starting to get used to big tanks. so one more won't hurt me. :smile:

what I know from mediterranean Vulgaris is the following.

in the wild there's a big difference between winter and summer. in summer they see temperatures between 20 and 25 °C which is a little above roomtemp. in winter the temp is a lot lower around 15°C

so it's either the annual cycling or a temp somewhat in the middle. if you do keep them on roomtemp all year round they won't live to see a year. set temp a few degrees lower and they can live up to 2 years!!!

this info came from the zoo aquarium curator. A marine biologist who specializes in invertebrates. so I take his word for it.

no disrespect to you guys though. 1 day on the forum and already learned a lot!!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back