Bimac or a Caribbean 2 spot

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Itz Irish, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Itz Irish

Itz Irish Larval Mass Registered

i believe i am either going to get one of these two types, i am looking for an octo with great personality and is very interactive. and relatively diurnal. any other suggestions besides these 2? thankss (i have a 40 gallon long aquarium)

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

I hope you've checked with your local fish store or whoever is going to order this octopus for you. Octopuses don't seem to be commonly carried in the UK

Nancy

3. simple

simple Vampyroteuthis Registered

i think hes irish but he lives on the U.S.
    you will probabaly have much better luck finding a bimac, than a "caribbean two-spot" which im guessing is o. hummelincki (sp?)

4. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Sorry, I missed that post where you said you were in Ohio. We get a lot of interational posts here, so that's why I thought you were in Ireland.

Nancy

5. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Yes, "Caribbean two-spot" is the filosus/hummelincki common name.

The deciding factor between those two would be tank temperature. If you can keep it cold, go for a Bimac. They seem to be much more common in the trade. Saltwaterfish.com is the only place I know of that sells the hummelincki's regularly. However most of the octos that came from swf.com recently, died within days or a couple of weeks after arrival.