• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Bimac care?

Aquariuman

Cuttlefish
Registered
I am currently considering getting a bimac octopus for my 125 gallon in the future. Is there any information you could give me considering if these are a good octopus to keep. Also, is a 125 gallon big enough? It's 72" x 18" x 24". Those are the outside measurements. The glass is approximately 1/2 inch think on all sides so if you subtract an inch off those numbers you'd end up with the inner dimensions. I've researched this octopus thoroughly but would still like some input on whether it's a good idea. Is it a good beginning octopus for someone who's never had any before? What's it's personality usually like? I'm not getting it immediately so you may take your time. I'd appreciate any input but would especially like some from people who have or has had this particular species of octopus. Thanks!

I have never kept Octopus Bimaculoides before but I do know a thing or two about them. First of all where are you going to buy your Bimac?( I would love to know where)Octopus Bimaculoides cannot be collected for the trade in California and that is where they are mainly found hence the name Californian two spot. Although LiveAquaria | Quality Aquarium Fish, Supplies & Equipment sometimes gets in Octopus from Mexico these might be Bimacs but you never know. 125 gallons is a very nice sized tank for a Bimac or most Octopus although you will need a chiller. The water must be between 60degrees and 70 degrees but people here have discovered that Bimacs live a lot longer in 50degrees or colder.
Bimacs are a very friendly Octopus, from what I know they are very interactive and live longer than most species. And there is no beginner species of Octopus each one is just about as hard to take care of as the other(except Wonderpus, Mimics, and Blue Rings)
If you are allergic to shellfish then you may find that the Octopus Bimaculoides has a very painful bite( Correct me If im wrong aren't Bimacs more potent to bite)

I have also heard that you can keep up to six Bimacs in a tank this size!
I would like to know why Bimacs? There are plenty of other more available octopus Out there.
If you would like to get a colorful octopus I suggest getting some from the Caribbean or Indonesia because Bimacs are not very colorful:wink:

I've heard Bimacs have a lot of personality. I don't know how true this is but that is one thing I'm hoping to find out. I'd like a octopus with a lot of personality and that I can keep at least a few in my 125, in case I want to breed them - which I do once I become more experienced with keeping them. If Bimacs aren't what I think they are - lots of personality - please tell me and suggest a different kind. I would like at least a little color but since they CHANGE color, well, that doesn't matter as much as being able to put at least a male and a female in the same tank without them killing each other. :P Thanks for all your input!

:welcome: to TONMO

Oceanproaqatics.com is not reputable at all. Several Members have had problem with them in the past. Misinformation, Bad business practices and just generally being not good people all come to mind when i think of them. There is a thread here on TONMO about them I'll see if i can fin it.

Unfortunately only one octo can be kept in a tank, especially of that size. Cephalopods are cannibals and they will eat each other. While sometime they live in groups in the wild a tank is far different from the wild and a things just dont work out the same. Octo: Six?! that is ridiculous, I'm afraid to ask where you read that one.

125g will be perfect for a Bimac. Bimacs are a great species and are a favorite of many keepers. While some species have more personality than others it really come down to the specific octo and its personality. You may have a hard time finding one unless you catch it yourself as they can not be legally caught commercially and sold in California. IMO a bimac, or either of the larger Caribbean species (Briareus or Vulgaris) would be a great option for you. Hummelinki are also a lot of fun a little bit smaller and they can be hard to find, but definitely one to look out for.

OK. this was before my time on TONMO. A very cool story. BUT, First, Those octos were all siblings raised in captivity and together their entire existance, this is much different then picking up two from a supplier and dropping them in a tank together. Second, We don't know if it worked. The poster never came back to share what did or didn't happen with those octopuses.

True but theoretically, if you kept them well fed and provided enough hiding places or dens, couldn't you keep just ONE pair - male and female - together at least until they breed?

just ONE pair - male and female - together at least until they breed?

For breeding, the octos are kept separately and then put together only for a short time so the can mate, then they are separated again right away.

I hope D will chime in talk about success rate of trying and tell you the ups and down of breeding.

This was Ds awesome attempt at tank raiseing several generations of octopuses.
Grandmothers journal
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?19835-Kooah-O-briareus
Parents as Babies Journal
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?20568-Kooah-s-Hatchlings-O-briareus
Parents journals Casey and tank:
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?21928-Mama-Cass-O-briareus-(tank-hatched)
D!!! I cant find Tanks journal!!! :wink:

The actual mating process in Casey's (Moms journal):
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?21928-Mama-Cass-O-briareus-(tank-hatched)/page5
and the hatchlings journal:
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?24015
None of the hatchlings survived.

Okay. I'll read those when I get time. I started but saw the one was 6 pages! I do have a question that needs answered. How much am I supposed to feed an octo? I've read they can eat A LOT but I need to try to figure out costs. Thanks!

Where do u live? are you near a coast?
I live in FL so I am lucky I can buy a dozen live shrimp from the local Fishing shop for around $2. For most octos I have kept one of these shrimp every day or two seemed to be plenty. My larger two octos ate up to a dozen live shrimp in one sitting. Another popular live food option is Fiddler Crabs. depends on the octo but a crab every 1-3 days seems adequate for most. Dead Raw food options are: Grocery Store bought raw frozen shrimp work great for octos that are social enough to accept hand feeding. small frozen crab claws work well too but sometime that are not accepted. another option is raw clams, for smaller octos frozen hermits that are removed from there shell have proven effective.

CaptFish;192179 said:
Where do u live? are you near a coast?

Unfortunately, no. I live in AZ. I don't have much money so I need to figure out cost of keeping the octos. Is there a rule on how much to feed them based on size or something? I am planning on moving to CA in ~4 years to finish schooling and that may be when I'll have to get the octos. I don't wanna wait that long though. :'(

CaptFish;192171 said:
OK. this was before my time on TONMO. A very cool story. BUT, First, Those octos were all siblings raised in captivity and together their entire existance, this is much different then picking up two from a supplier and dropping them in a tank together. Second, We don't know if it worked. The poster never came back to share what did or didn't happen with those octopuses.

If these Octopus were supposedly farm raised wouldn't they be in the same tank, and brothers and sisters. I wanted to know how unreliable this sight actually is. I know that they supposedly breed Octopus Bimaculatus:lol: and that they sell Octopus Chierchae but is their anything worse. I am also kinda maybe considering keeping 2 Bimacs in the same 55g tank :madsci:. I know that this is a kind of crazy idea but I would like to give it a try. I would ask the suppliers a lot of questions before I buy them if they are siblings how big are they and if they are in the same tank at the moment.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back