• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Bimac, Bocki, aculeatus, briarerus

Can those who have experience of those above comment on the differences they found in them and optimum temperatures (also max) to keep them at.

Ideally I would like a bimac but am unsure the way things are going, so your comments would be most appreciated!!! :biggrin2:

Cheers

These are very different octopuses - here are a few notes.

Bimaculoides is friendly and day active. Needs slightly lower temperatures than a tropical species. Life span about a year.

Bocki is a dwarf (body 1 inch), nocturnal, reclusive; short life span.

Aculeatus has a small, body about 2 1/2 inches, arms up to 12 inches long. Day active.

Briareus is a long-armed octopus ( body 5 inches, arms to 24 inches), noctural but may learn to come out during the day. Irridescent at times. Life span of about a year. More tropical than the bimac, so can be kept at warmer temperatures.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy thats very informative!!

Hey you got me intrigued here with a description of the Briareus as Iridescent, what do you mean by that? Is it due to its colour patterns or are am i bein daft :oops: cheers

Other people comments would be intresting and what temperatures people understand tropical to be.

I've kept O. aculeatus and O. bocki. O. bocki generally is found in water from 22 - 27 C. They do well in the lab at 23-24. They are highly secretive during the day, but do roam a bit at night and can be difficult to keep in their tank.

O. aculeatus also occurs over a temperature range of 21 - 30 C. Being somewhat day active, they are interesting to keep, but they are a bit on the "delicate" side and being a low intertidal species like O. bocki, they also will crawl out of tank.

My favorite species to keep are O. cyanea (but it does get very large) and O. wolfi (another nocturnal dwarf, but with personality).

Roy

Hey Scousie

avoid bocki at all costs, ive had three and i believe it was the last one that got nicknamed 'craptopus'... they are very short lived and very shy

there are briareus in TMC just now... try sending TONMO member Andy Lister an email to see what' s in stock and maybe he can tell you a local shop to order one in for you?

Neogonodactylus Wrote:-
O. aculeatus also occurs over a temperature range of 21 - 30 C. Being somewhat day active, they are interesting to keep, but they are a bit on the "delicate" side and being a low intertidal species like O. bocki, they also will crawl out of tank.

Cheers Neogonodactylus thats helpful, what do you mean by delicate? Well to be honest I fancy the idea of the crawling out the tank, as I aim to encourage this at feeding time, and it will be sealed in the rest of the time. As long as it doesnt try an eat me or think my coffee table is another tide pool!! :lol: Got any experiences you care to share?

Colin Wrote:-
avoid bocki at all costs, ive had three and i believe it was the last one that got nicknamed 'craptopus'... they are very short lived and very shy

Hey Colin Hope your sound mate! Nice one I'll avoid Bocki like the plague!! :lol: :lol:

Briareus sounds good are they tropical at all (what temps?). Am not gunna rush in an order need to stabilise tank and get to be a competent marine keeper first I think :shock:

What was Briarerius like to keep? Day active? Temp?

Didnt you have an aculeatus Colin? Was wondering on your opinon of em?

Nice one folks

hi scouse

yeah i had a couple of them, actually think that was what my first ever octo was too... they are great if somewhat shortlived 3 - 5 months from memory for the ones i got. Mostly caught as adults.

briareus could be good from 72 - 82 so yep, they are tropical.

all's well here, just working working working :smile:

Scouse said:
Well to be honest I fancy the idea of the crawling out the tank, as I aim to encourage this at feeding time, and it will be sealed in the rest of the time.

It's not a good idea to encourage it to crawl out for a number of reasons. It can be very traumatic to the animal to pick it up and put it back, and I'd put money on the animal dropping arms during the process. Even if it's in a fairly well-sealed tank, if the animal associates crawling out with food, then it'll try very hard to find a way to get out on its own. If it still doesn't get out, then it will be restless and stressed trying. If it does get out, then it'll die doing it if you're not around.

I meant encourage to come to top and be hand fed...not come acroos the living room and share some nacho's off the coffe table whilst I watch the footy :wink:

Thanks thou thats something I hadnt thought of, its association with food, but its not only going to receive food this way, I want it to hunt and live as normally as possible, but with the interaction.

cheers

Does anybody have any info on the....California Mudflat Octopus

what temps it lives at, food, environment, pictures etc

reason i ask is that TMC get the 'californian octopus' whatever that is in 3-4 times a year and i had presumed it was a bimac but poss this guy or others....???

many thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back