Bigby-Cannon Limestone

It looks like a crushed phragmocone. I can't make out the siphuncle so an ID is hard to guess. Just from the close spaced septa I would say Ellsmereocerid

The Ordovician rocks in Tennessee are surprisingly like those here in Utah, looks like it was probably the same kind of environment in both places back then. Thanks for posting your finds. :biggrin2:

Terri,
That one is a rock to me :wink: but I really enjoy you posting the stuff you find and can identify as ceph fossils and then seeing Kevin ID them. One day I will have to look one of you up and just go for a fun day looking.

:biggrin2:Yes! My very slightly educated guess was right! Ellesmerocerid was what ran through my mind when I picked it up, what septa there are did remind me of the "big one" I found a just a few feet from this one.

It is very fascinating to me Kevin how similiar ordivician rocks here are to Utah's, I've been on your website, and looked at your ordivician rocks. I've also noticed there is a similiarity to New Yorks ordivician also. I wish that I knew more than I do (trying:read:), I'm really just starting to grasp the whole concept of geologic time, stratigraphy etc..it's all very intriguing.

Hey D, thanks so much for your interest, it's a little daunting posting in this forum there is so much knowledge here. But any way as I took a couple steps past this fossil I also thought "rock", then took two steps back and picked it up!

It would be fun to get together for a day of fossil hunting, I'm usually on my own! It would really be fun if Kevin would drag us around his desert for few days! The heat index tommorrow here will hit around 105, the snakes and bugs are really bad so I am waiting impatiently for everything to just calm down so I can keep looking.

Terri;158145 said:
:biggrin2:Yes! My very slightly educated guess was right! Ellesmerocerid was what ran through my mind when I picked it up, what septa there are did remind me of the "big one" I found a just a few feet from this one.

Sounds like you're getting the hang of this. :heee:

Terri;158145 said:
It would be fun to get together for a day of fossil hunting, I'm usually on my own! It would really be fun if Kevin would drag us around his desert for few days!

When are you coming? Sounds like a great time. :biggrin2:

Hey Kevin, I have a slight dellima, I have several different locations in this thread and I have more fossils (that I want to post) from the site where I found the sponge. So I'm wondering if I should start a thread for that location and if so could the posts from that location be moved to the thread, the posts are 17-30 and 46-50.
OR do I keep putting everything here and specify the different location (Bigby-Cannon Limestone). I just thought maybe it would be less confusing to have them all together, Oh yes and the sponge:roll:.

I should start a thread for that location and if so could the posts from that location be moved to the thread, the posts are 17-30 and 46-50.

Sure, we can move some posts that's not a problem. It might be good to start another thread that way it is easier for others to search through your findings and discussions in the future.

I'm so glad I went back to this location looking for the ever elusive sponge, here are a few fossils I found while looking. The first one I'm excited about, would this be original shell material? I'm not used to finding this type of preservation. Most of it has some type of (?reef or algal stuff) covering it.

Attachments

• conv_298213.jpg
    conv_298213.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 100
  • conv_298214.jpg
    conv_298214.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 123
This one's soaking right now, I think I can get a view of the siphuncle,about 4 cm. long. There are quite a few of these scattered around on the rocks, but really weathered and broken and have that same golden, brownish color.

Attachments

• conv_298216.jpg
    conv_298216.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 112

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back