Bigby-Cannon Limestone

It's actually at the very top of a hill, no stream near by, but it was all under water about 460 million years ago.:smile: It could actually be a little older than that!

Terri;177093 said:
"The Gov." comes in handy that way every once in a while.:heee:

They like their power lines :biggrin2:

Terri;177097 said:
Well, at least I got close, comparing it to the other Actinocerid I've found I think it's probably an Endocerid. But we should assume question marks with all of my id'ing. :heee:

Most of my Ordovician ID's have ? after them too. Most are only ID'd after some sectioning and polishing to reveal the inner structures. Maybe I should invest in some lapidary equipment :roll:

Terri;177097 said:
This next fossil which I'm pretty sure is a cephalopod (I found it along with the sponge I can't seem to locate, and haven't found this one yet either) picture not great and my shadow got in the way. Bottom center of the fossil there is a round disk that looks like shell material, I'm not sure what it is, interesting though...

Definitely a cephalopod, and the outside and some of the septa are very well preserved. If you find it again, look for remnants of the siphuncle down in one of those chambers. This is the outside of the shell, the Allotrioceras in post 10 is the siphuncle (siphuncular deposits) without any trace of the septa or outer shell.
The disc at bottom center looks like a crinoid stem, but the bright outer ring has me confused. :hmm:

Most of my Ordovician ID's have ? after them too. Most are only ID'd after some sectioning and polishing to reveal the inner structures. Maybe I should invest in some lapidary equipment :roll:

That makes me feel a little better!:smile: Proper tools would be so great, I'm a little worried about using the saws, I'm afraid I would end up fingerless!:goofysca:

the outside and some of the septa are very well preserved

Very cool, I may try to get up there in the next few days, the grass and weeds have gotten really tall and it's looking a little snakey, but I might give it a shot anyway.

The disc at bottom center looks like a crinoid stem, but the bright outer ring has me confused. :hmm:

Yeah, I thought crinoidish too, it's odd how it's sort of partially wrapped around the crinoid(?) stem, but another thing I've not seen before!

it's looking a little snakey
I guess I will have to make some homemade rolls (we have determined they are only good for throwing at snakes :oops:)

How is the weather? Thinking about taking a roadtrip soon :biggrin2: (after the octos hatch)

I guess I will have to make some homemade rolls (we have determined they are only good for throwing at snakes :oops:)

:roflmao: You'll have to make a couple batches then, we'll stuff our pockets with them.:lol:

How is the weather?

HOT! Yesterday broke a 115 year record at 91, and the humidity was so bad it was like swimming through air. But it's supposed to cool off in a few days, back to more normal temps. for this time of the year. But who KNOWS what NORMAL is anymore!

A little Actinocerid? Just under 2 cm. I haven't been out in 3 weeks, :sad: so still going through my pictures, can't wait to get back up there to find all of my lost fossils. This is such a small area I have permission to be on , but am really anxious to get on the properties surrounding this spot, nice outcrops. If I can get permission I'll have to share the space with a few cows and a really large bull!:goofysca:

Attachments

• conv_298346.jpg
    conv_298346.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 164
I haven't been back to this location in a couple of months :sad:, I'm really hoping the owners will mow! There's "chigger weed" up to my chin, plus it's just plain old HOT! Triple digits (feels like temp) most days and that's in the shade. I do have a couple cephs left in my picture stash from last time I was there. The first one is a cross section of a very small orthocone showing a few chambers and maybe part of the living chamber. I can't tell if the chambers have worn away or if it's the living chamber.

Attachments

• conv_298488.jpg
    conv_298488.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 103
It's been this way for the last couple of years, fall and winter are the best time for fossil hunting, and with luck maybe a little time in early spring before the triple digits hit.:sad:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back