Bigby-Cannon Limestone

Terri;176455 said:
I'm so glad I went back to this location looking for the ever elusive sponge, here are a few fossils I found while looking. The first one I'm excited about, would this be original shell material? I'm not used to finding this type of preservation. Most of it has some type of (?reef or algal stuff) covering it.

Very nice fossil. It sure looks like the outer shell, and the septa showing on the other end help that look. Is the end view broken on one of the septa? Is it a convex surface with the siphuncle in the center?

Terri;176456 said:
..and possibly an Endoceras? About 6cm. long.

I can't see any sign of the siphuncle or endocones to verify, maybe just a very nicely preserved Orthocerid.

Some nice fossils, keep looking for that sponge and find more of these :sly:

I'm not sure if it's broken on the septa, I don't know what to look for, doesn't seem to be, I'll try to get a better shot of both broken ends tommorrow.:oops: It is convex, looks kind of flat in the pic. and the siphuncle is just about perfectly centered.:smile:

I'm looking at another pic. and if I'm understanding your question it looks like it's broken right on or just barely before the septa, I'll post the pic. it might take a minute my connection is really slooww tonight.

Ok here it is, totally lost my connection the first time.:roll:

Attachments

• conv_298221.jpg
    conv_298221.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 115
That last photo looks like one of Hajars, with the septa showing through the shell, makes it look like a residual color pattern. :biggrin2:

Yes it does, doesn't it! But do you think it IS a residual color pattern or does it just appear to be? :shock: If I could just get photos as good as his!

On the other piece, is it concave?

Convex also. I took more pics. today, have to upload and go through them, hopefully I got a few that shows more detail. The break is so clean, I'm really dissapointed in the pic. of the end I posted yesterday, just looks like a blurry blob.:heee:

Looks like it broke between septa. I can't tell if that is just crystals filling the chambers or if it is some kind of cameral deposits, I can't see a good surface for the septal necks or connecting tube, very nice at any rate. :cool2:

Do you know what all the little honeycomb things are? Some kind of Coral?

Terri;176518 said:
I don't know! I was going to ask you, coral was my first guess. :read: I'll browse around and see what I can find.
It looks like a Tabulate Coral, but without the Tabulae :hmm:

Terri;176562 said:
I'm really curious about this stuff, any ideas?
None :oops: something that has totally recrystallized, some parts seem to have some structure, and others just have the shape of the crystal. If I had to guess, I would say Sponge.

It looks like a Tabulate Coral, but without the Tabulae :hmm:

Leave it to me to find Tabulate coral without the Tabulae.:indiffer: Could the "honeycomb looking thing" possibly be a cross section of a Tabulate, that's assuming we are talking about the one next to the right of the siphuncle here? This pic. was taken wet, which really shows that pretty blue color, and that part doesn't seem to be crystally like the white. Dry, it is still a nice bluish grey and it really shows much better on the other pic. on the larger side of the fossil, is their any significance to that? Since we seem to have residual color banding on the shell?:roll:

Attachments

• conv_298244.jpg
    conv_298244.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 125

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back